Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Severe packet loss only on one computer on the same network.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 superwario15

superwario15

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:00 PM

I was playing the Overwatch beta over the end of last week and the weekend and had no real problems with connectivity to the game up until Saturday. The input lag and rubberbanding was getting so bad and I couldn't figure out why.

Went to pingtest.org and let the test run about a dozen times or so, changing the server each time. According to it, I would always have somewhere around 20%-40% packet loss, ~50 ms ping and 0-5 ms jitter, which is obviously not good. I have had absolutely no luck in resolving this on my own.

Here's what I have done in attempts to resolve this issue.

1. Network adapter driver re-install. Problem persists.

2. Tried a different wireless network adapter. Problem persists.

3. Tried different USB ports. Problem persists.

4. Booting into safe mode. Problem does NOT persist

5. Connecting through ethernet. Problem does NOT persist.

6. Using other wireless devices on same network. Problem does NOT persist.

7. Directly pinging router through cmd. No packet loss.

8. Directly pinging Overwatch Server (37.244.0.3) through cmd. No packet loss.

9. Disabled client-side firewall and retested. Problem persists.

10. Tried firing up Black Op 2 to check playability, since Overwatch is still in beta. Terrible rubberbanding and latency.

11. Went through this process to check in the off chance it could be a virus or malware.

12. Tested both network adapters on other PCs on the network. Couldn't recreate the problem.

I'm at a loss. Not even my PingPlotter is coming up with anything, yet pingtest.net shows packet loss and the two games I've tested are unplayable. I'm bit by bit disabling and turning off applications that I feel might have an impact, and so far none that I have tested have had any tangible effect. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by superwario15, 09 May 2016 - 11:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 superwario15

superwario15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

Had a Macrium Image from a little over a month ago that I restored to and the problem is now gone. Never quite figured out what caused it.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

That is why making regular backups is among the best favors you can do yourself.

#4 superwario15

superwario15
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

That is why making regular backups is among the best favors you can do yourself.

Most definitely. I image each drive separately in order to have the most amount control over what I need to restore should problems occur.

I only image my Windows partition monthly or every 2 weeks because I don't really ever change much on it, and if I do, it should be easily replaceable. So my restoration resulted in absolutely no personal data loss because I use another drive for storage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users