Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is there anything I can do to Remote Access Desktop??

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 satch4684

satch4684

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:36 PM

I would like use this tool to connect to my sony laptop.  Reason being, the screen is scrambled beyond recognition, I believe the onboard video is dead. It loads up fine, can type in login password and normal operating sounds seems to confirm everything working, but I can't see anything.

So a lightbulb goes off in my head, use that remote desktop thing on my PC to connect to the laptop. But I can only assume the "allow remote access" option is disabled on the laptop, because I get the can't connect message. Is there any other options? Maybe a seperate program for remote desktop (something besides the default windows tool) that might work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:30 PM

Could try plugging in an external monitor... it's a bit of a longshot but worth a go.

#3 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:43 PM

thanks for shooting a suggestion, but guess I'm out of luck then.  I've tried hooking up monitors, and my TV too, but there's been no response.

Figuring Remote Desktop was my final option, and that it counts as a sort of networking, I posted in this section.

It's hard to give up when I know the laptop is technically working and I really would like to get some data off of it, but simply can't see the screen!

Edited by satch4684, 09 May 2016 - 11:44 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

Ah, ok... if you just want data off it, that's much easier.

Open the laptop up and remove the hard disk, take that hard disk and mount it in your pc tower, you will need an additional sata cable but you can just borrow the one that's attached to the cdrom for the purpose of getting your data. Attach the power and sata cable. (make sure the tower is unplugged before opening it woot.gif) . Close your tower and boot as normal. Your disk will appear as an additional drive on your tower... just copy the data you want over.

Works for you?

#5 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

Hey thanks, sounds like a great idea! Im going to give this a try tonight...honestly I'd much rather access the computer itself but data is much better than nothing.

Although its been having problems with display crashing even then, I was thinking restoring the previous possibly more correct driver might help. More likely not, as I said it was crashing and even screen jarbled then, but after a few resets it was able to right itself so wish I could at least try.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:09 AM

come up in safe mode so generic drivers are loaded.  then you can update the video driver

#7 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:29 PM

Well I can say hitting the key to go directly to bios menu still offers a scrambled unrecognizable screen. Even removing hard disk (where you normally get that black screen and 'disk read error') gives the same result!

The only way I know is hitting a key to get to that menu that allows you to choose whether to "start windows normally, safe mode, etc" assuming I'm doing that right, of course I still can't see anything. So don't know if I've ever entered it in safe mode like this....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users