Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 top

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:51 AM

Hi i'm new to this site so sorry if i do something wrong.

I have some problems with my internet.. i'm runing windows Xp and i have adsl connection to the internet and it was all runing fine till couple of days ago.. i went to bed one night and in the morning when i woke up nothing was working as usual.. connection to the internet was very slow.. it usually takes me just a few seconds to connect but then i was connecting few minutes.. the when i finaly was connected i tryed to open some internet sites and none of them wouldn't open.. it just said connecting and then nothing.. blank page.. i thought no big deal it will work tomorrow, maybe it's just a network problem.. then the next day it was just the same and for some time i wasn't even able to connect to the server.. then i decited to call the my network dealer.. they asuerd me that there was no problem with the network and my connection and that i might be having problems with my computer, that i should check for any viruses.. then i run norton antivirus 2005, mcaffe antivirus 2006, pest patrol, adware and spybot and they found nothing.. i also checked my ping.. it seems like it is normal and the numbers show like it is but error pops up every 3 seconds.. i tryed to play some game over the net and i got a message that i have to much ping but it shows that i have 30-50 ping which is low..

i don't know what more to do, so i turn to you and i ask u do u have any idea what could it be.. if i only knew what causes the problem i would fix it somehow im sure of that.. this way i have no idea what is wrong, what causes the problem, what should i do..

i would appriciate any help..

Edited by top, 07 August 2006 - 08:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:48 AM

then i run norton antivirus 2005, mcaffe antivirus 2006

Are you running both of the antivirus programs on your system at the same time?

You can have more than one anti-virus program installed on your system as long as only one of them is actively running and providing real time protection. The other should only be used as an on demand scanner. However, even when one of them is not running, problems can still arise when the active anti-virus detects the non-active one's definitions or quarantined files.

The concern with using more than one anti-virus program is due to conflicts that can arise from them both running together at the same time in real-time protection mode. Anti-virus software componets insert themselves into the operating systems core and using more than one can cause instability, crash your computer, slow performance and waste system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, they both may try to update their defintion databases are the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance.

While operating in real-time mode, each program will often interpret the activity of the other as a virus and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to "False Positives". Further, if one AV finds a virus and then the other also finds the same virus, then both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that virus. Each piece of AV software will attempt to seize the offending file and quarantine it. If one AV finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you encounter the problem of both AV's wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetivite cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a virus has been found.

Symantec strongly recommends that you run only one antivirus program at a time. See here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 top

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:36 PM

first of thanks for the quick reply..

second.. i only use norton on my computer, i used mcaffe just to scan my computer cuz i thought norton missed something, i needed confirmation that i was clear in that way.. i disabled norton while mcaffe was scaning my comp.. sorry i didn't write that clearly in the first post.. :thumbsup:

btw.. this is the message that i get when i try to connect and i can't get tru ''u wasn't able to connect cuz the distant computer didn't reply to your connection demand''

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 05:59 AM

If all your scans are showing no malware I would recontact your network dealer and tell them so.

But first you might want to check your firewall settings and router if your using one and follow the suggestions in Slow Computer Checklist.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 06:09 AM

If the network dealer insist your connection is coming through OK, the problem must be at your end.
It looks like your Winsock chain has been corrupted.

Go to start > run and type cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type next in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Hit enter and reboot.

Let me know how the internet works now.
David

#6 top

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:34 AM

everything is OK now.. i did what u said david and now everything works again..

thanks for the help and for your time quietman7 and D-Trojanator..

btw.. i'd like to know did i do something to cause this problem??

#7 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:54 AM

Glad I was able to help.
It's hard to tell what caused this problem I'm afraid.
Basically your Winsock chain was corrupted, meaning intenet access was restricted.
David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 08 August 2006 - 08:55 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:59 AM

Good call David. :thumbsup: