Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Affordable small pc to act as a in-house server

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris4Gold

Chris4Gold

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:00 PM

Hi there,

I'm looking to get a pc that i can run 24/7 and is linked to my tv. All I will need to do on it is run things like Netflix, Youtube and Plex.

I want it to be the server for my plex account.

I have no idea what kind of PC i need, or what the requirements will be.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2016 - 06:07 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:29 AM

Can you build it from parts or does it have to be prebuilt one?

#3 Chris4Gold

Chris4Gold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:31 AM

Which ever one would be the cheapest. But wouldn't have a clue what to buy. Thanks for your reply.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:13 AM

Which ever one would be the cheapest. But wouldn't have a clue what to buy. Thanks for your reply.

System that barely exceeds Plex minimum requirements (without operating system):

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tNCDCJ

Requirements depends on how heavy that Plex server use will be. So that's jsut an example, but very cheap one.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 10 May 2016 - 06:13 AM.

#5 Chris4Gold

Chris4Gold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:32 AM

Thanks a lot DrillingMachine for taking the time to do that. I was aiming at spending around $300 on it. If I wanted to bulk it up a little, would you recommend getting a better CPU?

Also is this the website you would recommend ordering from?

Thanks again.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

For 300 you get much better CPU. I also put better PSU and memory http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jgvbsY

I don't really recommend any site to order from. You can order those parts any shop that have them available. You can also switch basically any other FM2+ motherboard and any micro ATX case for example.

#7 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

So you don;t have an old desktop or laptop lying around that you can use?

#8 Chris4Gold

Chris4Gold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

I have a gaming PC, well sort of. Has and oldish i7, nvidia gforce gtx 760,12Gb RAM. You recon I should buy a smaller case and build it in to that?

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,828 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:51 PM

That sounds ideal.  Fancy graphics aren't needed for a server unit, or a monitor for that matter once it's up and running.  I use an old P4 Pentium that has four 500 GB drives and is networked by wire to an inside network with no internet connections.  All users can access through the router only.  It keeps three users files, like movies, books, music, games, documents and photos.  It has run 24/7 for three years now and is about half full.  I do weekly incremental backups on DVD and currently have 220 disks.  Back ups are important.

#10 Chris4Gold

Chris4Gold
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

That sounds like something I need..! So I'll do some research on how to make a local network for the whole house.

So I can basically buy and oldish PC and build it in to a smaller case, and let it run 24/7? Don't really want to convert my i7 into a local server haha. Do you reckon that would work?

Also I have a 4tb external where I keep all my media on. So I'll be storing nothing much on the PC itself.

Thanks for the reply

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 15 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

Or, you can check this out ($189).  It is actually overkill for what you need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Desktop-6GB-RAM-3-00GHz-Dual-core-2-Core-500GB-VX6630G-50027-/262416842506?hash=item3d19433f0a

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#12 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2016 - 01:04 PM

I have a gaming PC, well sort of. Has and oldish i7, nvidia gforce gtx 760,12Gb RAM. You recon I should buy a smaller case and build it in to that?

If that is what you have and it is unused, yes.  Though it is overkill.  If you have onboard graphics, yank the card.  If not, consider underclocking the card. 

I am guessing you don't want a big case wherever you plan on sticking this?

I'd significantly underclock the CPU if the CPU/system allows, and leave it in turbo mode to shut down some cores. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users