Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I buy new PC or upgrade what I have?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 burtonk

burtonk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:51 PM

So here's the run down:

I purchased an Asus Essentio Series desktop about two years ago.

It has an AMD FX-8120 eight-core processor (3.10GHz), 10GB of ram, 2Gb AMD graphics card (Radeon HD 7700) .

I primarily use it for light Photoshop use, but otherwise just watch Youtube and videos on it. Nothing too crazy. 

For the most part, it works great. But since Day 1 it has an EXTREMELY loud fan that is ALWAYS kicking in. Open up three tabs in Chrome and BOOM! the fan kicks into hyper-drive.

I recently checked the temperature reading on my CPU and it's hovering around 55 degrees C while resting. I'm no computer geek, but from what I could find via Google, that appears too hot.

The computer actually overheated one night this week while watching Netflix (no other programs were open but the single Chrome tab) and it shut down abruptly. The next day, the C:drive crashed and had to be repaired. Perhaps that's related to the overheating?

ANYWAY, I'm torn between upgrading what I already have and just buying a new PC. I want to go back to a laptop again, but I appreciate the added performance of the desktop (plus the ability to upgrade).

I'd love to hear your opinions about what I should do. The options are: 

• Upgrade my current PC with new CPU (likely a new i5 because they tend to produce less heat from what I can read
  • Like above, but also upgrade with a new GPU
  • Upgrade new cooling system
  • Upgrade hard-drive if it's damaged
  • Just buy a new computer
  • Some other suggestions you can come up with!  :thumbup2:

Thanks!!

cats.jpg

Edited by burtonk, 09 May 2016 - 07:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:31 AM

Cheapest solution for noise problem: Replace CPU cooler with better one. If you are not afraid about losing warranty, open case and check how tall CPU cooler fit.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 10 May 2016 - 05:31 AM.

#3 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:01 PM

.... I purchased an Asus Essentio Series desktop about two years ago.

It has an AMD FX-8120 eight-core processor (3.10GHz), 10GB of ram, 2Gb AMD graphics card (Radeon HD 7700) .

I primarily use it for light Photoshop use, but otherwise just watch Youtube and videos on it. Nothing too crazy. 

For the most part, it works great. But since Day 1 it has an EXTREMELY loud fan that is ALWAYS kicking in.... my CPU and it's hovering around 55 degrees C while resting..... the C:drive crashed and had to be repaired. Perhaps that's related to the overheating?

• Upgrade my current PC with new CPU (likely a new i5 because they tend to produce less heat from what I can read
  • Like above, but also upgrade with a new GPU
  • Upgrade new cooling system
  • Upgrade hard-drive if it's damaged
  • Just buy a new computer
  • Some other suggestions you can come up with!  :thumbup2:

Use HWMonitor to monitor temps and fan speeds.  Let it run during typical day.  Save log.

You are correct 55C is too hot for resting CPU.  And indeed many of the problems you describe could be attributed to overheating, so lets fix that since it should not cost much.

The PC is out of warranty so don't sweat opening it up.  I would definitely check it out. 

Get can of compressed air.  Take case outside.  Open up and blow out dust especially around CPU's heat sink fins.

The fans in your PC are the PSU, the CPU and possibly one in the rear and in the graphics card.  Can be fans on front or top.  Leave the cover off and hook it back up where you can observe.  Are the fans present running?  To determine which one is making the noise press on the fan's hub one at a time stopping the fan.  Does the noise stop?  If the fan does not start up when released give it a little push. 

Once noisy fan is identified replace it.  3-pin or 4-pin?  Measure it: approx 80, 90 or 120mm? Look for a sealed bearing with notations of being quiet. $10-20 if case fan. 

Look for places in case where additional fans can be located (there may not be any). 

Test the HDD with the HDD maker's--whom you didn't lost--free diagnostic app.

You can't upgrade the CPU with an Intel CPU...it is an AMD socket.

New GPU won't help overheating and likely a 7700 based GPU is fine for your uses, even Photoshop.

Cooling upgrade?--maybe.  If cleaning it up, inspecting fans and replacing any bad or adding more if possible doesn't work then upgrading the HSF may be a good idea. Something is wrong.  You will need to determine approximate height in mm available from the MB to the case side for a HSF.   A replacement will also offer the examination of how well the heat sink thermal compound was originally applied.  See if a 212 EVO would fit (159mm).  $30

Let us know what you determine.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 11 May 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:25 PM

Max temperature for that CPU:  61 Celsius per CPU-Worlld Data .

I had an 8120 in this system, have an 8320 now (not much difference between the two, IMO).  My exxperience is that, with stock coolers, the temps may be/are higher than recommended but such can be mitigated by either replacing the heatsink/fan or (my preference) reseating the heatsink/fan after cleaning the old thermal grease and replacing it with the proper amount of a satisfactory rrpelacement.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users