Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest and best ways to block 10 from "upgrading" a 7 PC?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tim_K

Tim_K

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:48 PM

10 is crap, and my computers will NEVER run it.

I rebuild computers and do other PC repair on the side.  On every PC I work on, I hide updates # 3035583, 3021917, and 2952664.  And down in the taskbar, I click the up arrow and Customize, and Hide the GWX notifications.

What else can I do to prevent Windows 10 from being downloaded and installed on a 7 PC?  All the articles I read are from last year, there must be some newer news.  My customers are computer idiots and will not be able to handle anything technical, so I must have it set up to block 10 as much as possible.

What else can I do?  I know, Linux, but these are Windows PC idiots, they can't handle Linux.

Edited by Tim_K, 09 May 2016 - 06:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

Tim,

Your opinion of Windows 10 aside, your best bet is to install either Never10 or GWX Control Panel.  Both are self-updating as far as knowing what the latest KB updates are that are involved with the Windows 10 upgrade.

This will be a non-issue after late July.  Also, contrary to the "friend of a friend stories," I have yet to see any Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine upgrade itself.  If your clients are advised to simply close the nag screens that occasionally pop up with the X at the upper right corner life simply goes on.

Windows 7 is a fine OS, Windows 8 broke far too much from what came before in terms of user interface, Windows 10 weds the two spectacularly well, keeping the best of both.  But those who wish to avoid it should be able to exercise that choice.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:42 AM

GWX Control Panel works for me.

I am one of those folks who one morning found my Windows 7 desktop had been updated to 10 without my permission.  One theory about what happened is that I got the popup asking if I wanted to upgrade now or later and I clicked later.  So then MS sets a counter and does the update automatically after some no. of days.  That's certainly a possibility in my case.  I thought upgrade later meant it would ask me again, but it didn't.  I didn't see anything about doing it after a no. of days, just the two options, but maybe it was there & I forgot about it.  Maybe it heard my dog bark and took that as permission, who knows!  :bounce: Whatever happened, the GWX Control Panel took care of that business on my desktop and the 28 Windows 7 desktops I support, so I've lived happily ever after installing it.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users