Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard and Mouse Not Working!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 centricxsh

centricxsh

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:36 PM

Hi! I have a windows 10 desktop. This morning a storm was passing through and it affected my computer when a power outage occured in my house.I turned it back on, and at first the keyboards and mouse lit up for a short while before turning off. My computer states that it need to restart and repair itself, and then dives into its automatic repairing. When my computer restarts, the keyboard and mouse light up again before returning back to its dormant state and never returning. Now my computer is stuck on this screen talking about "Choose you keyboard layout," and I can't do anything because my mouse and keyboard is not working.

Please do give me some help. I have work to do and this computer is all I have

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:08 PM

Oddly enough, I just had this issue occur on my partner's Win8.1 laptop.  The following worked perfectly to get his keyboard and mousepad working again:

1- Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.

2- Press the Power On button for 10 seconds.

3- Replace battery and/or connect power cord.

4- Turn On computer then immediately begin pressing the F2 key repeatedly, about once per second until the UEFI/BIOS screen appears.

5- Press F9 then press Enter   (Reloads system defaults)

6- Press F10 then press Enter   (Saves the defaults you just reloaded and continues booting)

It can't hurt to try this with a desktop, although you could probably skip the end of Step 1 through Step 3, but even if you follow these exactly, with the exception of removing the battery, it isn't going to hurt.

You will have to double check regarding whether it's F2 or another Function Key on your machine that would throw you into UEFI/BIOS, as the F2 is what's used on Toshiba laptops and the key varies by manufacturer.  On my HP it's done by hitting ESC about once per second when the machine is powering up.  When the splash screen comes up just before Windows 10 starts loading you should see a "menu" at the bottom regarding which Function Keys can be used during boot, and for what purpose, or just do an online search for your make/model and how to get in to UEFI or BIOS.  (It will be UEFI on your machine if it was manufactured at the time Windows 8 debuted or later).

Also make sure that you use F9 to reload system defaults and F10 to save and exit.  This will be shown at the bottom of the screen.  If your machine uses a different function key to do either of these things then use the appropriate key that matches the noted function.

Edited by britechguy, 09 May 2016 - 06:10 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 dhjohns

dhjohns

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:54 PM

I would try a different keyboard, and mouse.  See if you have the same trouble.  If you do.  :( ......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users