Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Latency During The Night

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnannd

johnannd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:18 PM

Greetings. So, I moved into this building about a month ago.

I called an ISP and subscribed to a 2Mbit ADSL connection. The connection is stable and it offers me a minimum speed of 200 kBps which is amazing especially in this area. The connection is very stable. I do not have any disconnections or anything. The speed is the same 24h. Here is my problem, though. During the day my connection offers low latency and I enjoy it. During the night my latency goes way up by a factor of 3x. This actually ruins my gaming experience. The speed is not affected at all like mentioned.

I called my ISP and they said that my connection does not have any problems because I cannot get them to understand what latency means (or they choose to play dumb).

I started researching about two weeks ago and I found out about DSL stats and network components such as DSLAMS. Here are my observations.

During the day my DSL stats are like this:

SNR Margin = 30-34

Attenuation = 35

During the night it is like this:

SNR Margin = 16-25

Attenuation = 39-40

I can do whatever I want during the night. I can browse and watch videos and even download without issues. The speed is not affected at all. Though, I cannot do anything dependent on latency like online gaming.

I came to the conclusion that the problem is most likely at the DSLAM when too many are using the internet. I mean it probably has too many users and that what causes the high latency. I cannot technically explain why though because I do not have any IT knowledge. I read on another forum that the DSLAM could be fully saturated. What are your thoughts on this? Is my conclusion right regarding the DSLAM? If I asked my ISP to change my port on the DSLAM would that help me? From my understanding there are multiple DSLAMs at the phone exchange office. Could they simply move me from one to DSLAM to another if the one I am on is saturated?

Can electrical interference from so many people using electrical devices affect my line in a way that causes me to having high latency during the night only and not the day? If I replace my phone cables to the building aggregation box into CAT cable, would that help me lower my latency?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

The speed is the same 24h.

I am confused.  How could the speed be the same throughout 24 hours and yet you are complaining about low latency?

#3 johnannd

johnannd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 01:39 AM

Hello and thanks for the reply, Agouti. I am using a wired LAN cable connected to my router. I have a problem with high latency during the night. It affects online gaming a lot. The connection speed is not affected. I have tested and even downloaded large files at 200kB.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:51 PM

Honestly, since you say your subscription is 2Mbps, it isn't really all that great.  You might want to do a speed test whenever you are experiencing these lags, to see if you are really getting what you are paying for.  Better yet, you might want to bookmark Speedtest.net so you can access it easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users