Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to transfer to data drive to clean up C drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tasteofclass98

tasteofclass98

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

Hi- I have an HP Pavillion running on Vista that has 16.6 gb available on the 220GB Drive.  There is also a D: data drive that has 220 GB available.  Can someone suggest the best way to clean this up.  I don't have any pictures, music  or video files on the C drive.  They are on a portable hard drive.

I am afraid to move program files for fear that they will stop working.

I do use outlook for email  and that is on the c drive.  I believe it may be one of the big file problems.

Any advice is appreciated. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

If you have downloads being stored on the desktop, create a folder in D, copy such downloads into target D, the folder, then delete downloads from desktop.

If you have lots of documents, urls, pdfs, etc on the desktop, create in D desired folders, copy such stuff into designated folders, then delete such things from desktop. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

I have three browsers.  I use ccenhancer to kick into gear cleaner at every coldpost/boot and restart -- ccleaner deletes all cache files [nothing but cache files!] from all three browsers.  Lots of bytespace reclaimed daily.

Also, if you make shortcuts to windows temp, windows recent, windows prefetch, programdata temp, and other temp file pots -- you can periodically delete the temp files in such folders, and reclaim quite a bit of bytespace.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 May 2016 - 02:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#4 tasteofclass98

tasteofclass98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for that feedback.  Most of this has already been done.  Do you know if there is a way to move my outlook program and file to the data drive?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:59 PM

...Do you know if there is a way to move my outlook program and file to the data drive?

I don't, you'll have to wait for others  :)

#6 tasteofclass98

tasteofclass98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:01 PM

Okay, Thank You!

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

- Run TreeSize Free. It tells you what folders contain lots of files and/or (very) large files. Could be very revealing.

https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

- Outlook: Go through the emails and save the attachmentscontent and/or the attachments to e.g. text files and move those files to the D: drive. And then delete those emails. Perhaps you can archive other things as well.

Does Outlook have an "Export files" function ? Then you can archive those emails. Does Outlook have a "Compact" function ? That allows you to reduce the size of the Outlook files by removing space that's no longer used. (I never used Outlook).

- Delete the "C:\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder. Could contain GBs of obsolete files. With each Windows Update that folder keeps growing.

- If you have no intention of removing previous Windows Updates updates then use the build-in "disk clean up" tool. It allows you to (SAFELY) remove A LOT OF files (e.g. archived system files). Could also delete GBs of files.

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:46 AM

- Use CCleaner to delete one or more (NOT all) System Restore Points. Then we're also talking GBs.

Edited by Willy22, 10 May 2016 - 04:20 AM.

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:53 AM

- "Disk Clean Up" tool.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-use-disk-cleanup-in-windows-7-and-vista.html

#10 Caravelle

Caravelle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 09:03 AM

Or you could simply redistribute the space between your C and D drives by repartitioning.  It's pretty simple, usually just a matter of dragging a line across the screen and being patient.  A free program like the one here https://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-express/ will lead you painlessly through the process.  You can gain another 200 GB for C:\ and be sure that you have not mistakenly got rid of something you wanted, or moved it to a spot where the software using it can no longer find it.   I do this on all my PCs before I start filling up the C:\ drive, leaving 10-20 GB on D:\ which seems to be just fine, and is still probably overkill.  Certainly I have never had any problem about lack of space on the D:\ drive because I never use it - like you I use external USB drives for the important stuff.  They get hidden in the loft when we go away, and should the PC be stolen I won't lose my photos or music.

Many PCs seem to come with a D:\ partition taking up half of their hard disk, and unlike you many users barely know how to use My Computer to look at what they have got.  Such PCs are often junked because they keep telling the user that there isn't much room on C:\, and the user has more money than sense.  You have to wonder if this is a marketing trick...   

I'm still wondering why no-one has suggested this solution.  Yes, it's a good idea to tidy up your files as well and you will gain some space, though seldom as much as the utilities promise.

Also, a large Outlook email file just slows down Outlook.  Check out the Outlook help.  You can archive the current file on a USB stick or one of your other USB disks if you want to keep all your old email for reference, then delete all emails older than X days or weeks.  You could just start another email file, but if you have built up a complicated folder structure you probably want to keep that and not have to rebuild it.

Caravelle

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:57 AM

"...I'm still wondering why no-one has suggested this solution..." -- Caravelle

My post number 2 mentions exactly that, migrating data folders/files to D partition.  True, I only mentioned Desktop as a starting point.

#12 Caravelle

Caravelle

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:11 AM

Adjusting partition sizes is exactly the same as moving files ?    I don't believe you can really think that.

Caravelle

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:21 AM

Adjusting partition sizes is exactly the same as moving files ?    I don't believe you can really think that.  Caravelle

Adjusting partition sizes was not my idea.  Ok, I see the problem, we failed to identify who we were directing questions and comments to.

Tasteofclass98 -- how is your action plan of moving data folders and files from C to D, of uninstalling un-needed & un-wanted programs, etc., coming along?   And, congrats on your degree achievement 18 years ago   :)

Edited by RolandJS, 23 June 2016 - 08:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users