Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop or All-In-One, and can I use Win7?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BettieRage

BettieRage

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

I have had major problems with my Toshiba Satellite laptop, which is about five years old. The main problem is that after installing TotalVPN and promptly uninstalling it because I could not log in (web proxy error), I have been unable to connect to the Internet. Nothing I have tried has worked to fix that, and if I'm going to have to do a clean install of Windows and install all my graphic design software again, I'd rather do it on a new computer. My other problem with this laptop is Cinema 4D has a problem with the NVIDIA graphics drivers, so doing a clean install might not allow me to use my favorite software anyway. Money is obviously a concern, but my portability requirements have changed. I am now a contractor, so I don't carry my laptop around as much as I used to, but I still do graphic design, as well as using the software for renovation visualization. I need a decent graphics card, but integrated seems to work fine for my needs.

I have found both a laptop and an all-in-one in my price range. I'm curious if anyone has experience with both types, and if there are benefits/downfalls to the all-in-one that I am not anticipating. One thing I'm curious about is the wireless keyboard because I have to set up my mouse on a lap table next to me so that my arm sits in a natural position (old shoulder injury). The wireless keyboard may be handy for that reason, as well, but I'm assuming I can use a different keyboard with it (wired, USB or Bluetooth) if that one is not big enough. Is that correct?

My main issue is going to be the OS. The computers I have found all come with Windows 10, and that is not going to work for me. As graphic design is no longer my #1 field, I want to stick with Adobe's CS6 and not pay to use their Creative Cloud. CS6 is not compatible with Windows 10. It is compatible with Windows 8, which is fine, but as I already have Windows 7, I'd rather use that and not shell out any more money right off the bat. I have switched the Windows 7 license from one laptop to another in the past, so I know I can use my current license. What I want to know is if I'm losing some features of the new computer by installing Windows 7. The drivers for graphics, etc., don't seem to be a problem. I don't really need touch screen, but they happen to come equipped with it. Is this compatible with 7?

The all-in-ones I'm looking at are the Dell Inspiron 23.8" and the HP Pavilion 23" or 27", and the laptop is the HP Envy 17.3". The price range is $700-$900, with an open box option. I'm open to suggestions for other brands/models, as well ordering suggestions. The main benefit of these is they are available locally for immediate pickup, and I'm right in the middle of designing a pergola and railing for the deck I just built, but I'm willing to order if there is something that is just that much better for my needs. I'm not really worried about paying shipping because buying locally in Texas means 8.75% sales tax, so it's going to be close either way.

I'd appreciate any input! Obviously, I have not been in the market for a new computer since 2011, so I'm not up-to-date on my options, and no longer working on a computer all day limits my research time. The software I use the most is Chief Architect v7, Cinema 4D R16, and Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. We are also preparing for a big family reunion in July, so very soon I will need to give some time to Adobe Premiere for some family videos.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users