Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get Windows 10 for Free After July 29th, with a Little Prep Now

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

How to Geek just published this today.  I'd been thinking about researching this myself. I'm sure other hold outs are interested in Keeping Win7/8 but keeping the option to reserve a free copy of Win 10.

http://www.howtogeek.com/253901/get-windows-10-for-free-after-july-29th-with-a-little-prep-now/

Edited by hamluis, 09 May 2016 - 10:58 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

You are correct Smsec. Just makes sense to keep all options open for as long as one can, even though some are espousing MS will extend beyond July 29th.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

The article mentioned cloning a new drive. Why not simply do a complete disk image backup to an external. Do a clean install of Windows 10 using the key pulled with produkey. Do another disk image of Windows 10. Restore the Windows 7 or 8 image. You now have a Windows 10 image you can restore at anytime and also a backup of the current system. 

From my understanding, you can do a clean install of Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or 8 key. I do not know if Microsoft would block your Windows 7 or 8 key once you use it to activate a clean install of Windows 10. If Microsoft does not then I don't see how this would prevent people from dual booting Windows 7 or 8 and Windows 10.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:14 PM

From my understanding, you can do a clean install of Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or 8 key. I do not know if Microsoft would block your Windows 7 or 8 key once you use it to activate a clean install of Windows 10. If Microsoft does not then I don't see how this would prevent people from dual booting Windows 7 or 8 and Windows 10.

This is true, so far as it goes, it also violates your user agreement.  You cannot legally dual boot the same Windows 7 or 8 that you used to upgrade to Windows 10.  You have to buy a separate license for Windows 10 if you want to keep your existing Win7 or Win8 for dual boot and be legal about it.

It is definitely possible to dual boot any of those three versions of Windows in any combination or even tri-boot, but the license for each should be valid and legal if one is doing so.

I could have sworn this was discussed in these environs, and at great length, quite recently, though I think it was in the actual Win10 support part of the forum.

Edited by britechguy, 09 May 2016 - 12:15 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

The problem I see is the amount of people who will not abide by the EULA. I can't help but think it will be a huge number.

#6 Smsec

Smsec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

Since Microsoft gives you 30 days to roll back to to an earlier Windows version, that might not violate the EULA.

Rollback has two conditions:

1. You rollback within 30 days.
  2. You did the upgrade method instead of a clean install.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-psa-you-have-30-days-roll-back

Edited by Smsec, 09 May 2016 - 10:27 PM.

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

The only PCs I'm keeping on 7 are 3 and 4 years old.  I figure I'll be more than ready to replace them no later than 2020, and they'll come with Windows 10 pre-installed and supported, so I don't see the need to worry about it.  I already replaced my laptop with one having 10 on it.  I'm not seeing anything wrong with 10, but then 7 works just fine and has everything I want too, so my Win 7 desktops aren't broken and I see not the foggiest reason to "fix" them.  Why bother unnecessarily?  It's just unnecessarily giving Murphy a chance to do his mischief.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users