Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint to go DIY for multimedia - Users to choose own codecs

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:37 AM

The Linux Mint project has decided version 18, scheduled for June 2016, will end out-of-the-box installation of multimedia codecs.

The reasoning is straightforward: shipping with codecs involves a lot of work that other mainstream distributions don't bother with, instead leaving users to choose what they want post-install.

As the maintainers explain in this Friday post, pre-configuring codecs was “very costly and only slightly improved our distribution”, so out they go, with the post providing instructions on codec installation.

Snipping the codecs out of the default images means the project will be able to cull its release cycle to four events with 12 ISO images to test in each event.

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_GNULINUX_*

Guest_GNULINUX_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

I think the "legality" of included codecs has also something to do with it...  :o

As long as they can be installed there isn't really anything changed for the user!

Greets!

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23,203 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:20 AM

Yep, including codecs in the distro is only a convenience. Legal issues may indeed have been one of reasons for taking them out.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,866 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

I bet M$ is behind this in some way.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:11 PM

Unfortunately this means mint's popularity of being a newb friendly distro will end, and I wont recommend it for new users anymore.

I guess Zorin will be my new go to as most linux newcomers dont even know what a codec is, they just know in windows playing MP3's, movies, DVD's and various other formats just work without installing anything other than using windows media player. (sans DVD's in windows 10)

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 May 2016 - 06:22 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

Just to be clear, is this about things like VLC and such, or are there going to be a lot of people who try Mint 18 screaming about youtube not working?  Possibly all of the above?

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

Just to be clear, is this about things like VLC and such, or are there going to be a lot of people who try Mint 18 screaming about youtube not working?  Possibly all of the above?

Yup that is where this will lead to.

Thist just means other distros will climb especially manjaro which also offers codecs.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:00 PM

In Ubuntu, isn't all of this taken care of in the installer with the "tick this box for all this extra stuff" option?  Maybe Mint is just doing that.

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:13 PM

Yes but mint came with the full package, the codec install option on Ubuntu only covers a small amount and you have to install the redistricted extras and DVD playback separate 

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users