Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which security add-ons do you use in your web browser for additional security?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

Hi all!

Nowadays, we all have real-time running anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-exploit/anti-ransomware for comprehensive computer security, as well as backup- and disk imaging software, along with Windows Firewall.

And of course common sense and following Best Practices for Safe Computing.

Moreover, it is equally important to use security add-ons in your web browser for additional security.

I myself have Mozilla Firefox with Web Of Trust, µBlock Origin and Ghostery.

All these tools work well together, as they each perform different tasks as it relates to providing adequate web browsing security.

And hence, my question is as follows: Which security add-ons do you use in your web browser for additional security?

Please specify!

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Iangh

Iangh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

I read this, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/suggestions-on-web-filtering-blacklisting.376498/, and then decided to use Adguard extension (Chrome) and 360 Total Security's extension. I don't like to over-play the security in case it impacts on performance. I consider myself to be a safe surfer who wouldn't dream of visiting the dark-side.

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

Hi, Iangh!

Thank you for the prompt and sharing reply! :)

Your link makes for interesting reading! :thumbup2:

...I consider myself to be a safe surfer who wouldn't dream of visiting the dark-side.

+1

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

There are many addons, plugins, extensions that provide all kinds of security through many different ways and means.  I've tried numerous ones in the past.  For now, I settled on uBlock Origin, Ghostery [w/o the constant reporting], for Firefox: NoScript.  There are power-users through-out The 'Net that use utilities that must be configured just right - else, major performance problems occur; I mention this because I tried a couple of such power utilities and had to rollback Firefox to a previous configuration to regain control.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:10 AM

Well, I use a pretty simple setup which has helped me to complete my 4th year without any single malware infection on my windows 7 laptop. Only the antivirus has changed from MSE to eset nod 32 simply because eset is more lightweight. Other than that everything has remained same. I use Google chrome with adblock plus and WOT extensions. There are also other extensions but these to only are security related. I think any kind of adblocker is most important security add on one can add to fortify his browser. :thumbsup:

#6 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:40 AM

Ghostery, NoScript, uBlock Origin and VTzilla.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:19 PM

Many site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Symantec WS.Reputation.1, Webutation, avast! Online Security Plugin (formerly WebRep), etc) use a system of volunteer testers that continually patrol the Internet to browse sites, download files, and submit information. All the results are documented and supplemented with feedback from users, Web site owners, and analysis from their own employees. The advising site vendor then summarizes the results typically into into a color-coded red, yellow and green ratings scale to help inform Web users as to the safety of each tested site. While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings. Just because you visit a risky site, that does not automatically mean the site is bad or that your system has been infected by going there. In contrast, going to a safe site could even prompt a warning. There are legitimate programs which are falsely detected by various anti-virus programs from time to time. This sometimes results in an inaccurate site rating/warning of potentially dangerous software when that is not the case. Thus, the use of such rating sites does not always guarantee an accurate rating of the results they provide. Further, for the novice user, rating sites can provide a a false sense of security.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 813 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:33 AM

Hi, RolandJS, titan1, thelittleduck & quietman7!

Thanks to you all for the prompt replies and willingness to share! :)

...site rating vendors (i.e. McAfee SiteAdvisor, WOT, Google's Safe Browsing, Symantec WS.Reputation.1, Webutation, avast! Online Security Plugin (formerly WebRep), etc)...While these tools are useful, they are not foolproof and sometimes may provide misleading ratings...

Thanks for the heads-up on WOT, however I am aware of its limitations. :thumbup2:

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:57 AM

Not a problem.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif