Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Top 10 Tools - Fix Software Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CredCol

CredCol

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:39 AM

Hello,

Can you please suggest top 10 tools to fix any software/hardware issue in a PC (Windows/Mac/Linux) including malwares and viruses?

Cheers,
CredCol

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum, due to the OS's and applications involved. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

No such thing as "top 10 tools" for every possible malware, hardware, or software issue that can arise with any Windows install.  The list of tools available for hardware and malware issues...IMO, would depend on just how accurate the diagnosis of the problem is.  Ditto for seeming Windows issues, many of which, upon examination...were incorrectly diagnosted as something other than what the eventual problem item turned out to be.

Louis

#3 CredCol

CredCol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

Thanks Louis for your reply! Just wanted to know as an IT technician what tools/software I can keep handy in my pen drive so as to debug and fix common viruses/malwares.

Regards,

CredCol

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:46 AM

I suggest that you initiate a topic in either the BC General Security or BC AV/AM Software forum (or both) to see the complexity in involved cannot be adequately addressed (IMO) by a numerically-specific number of tools.

Louis

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

I have a few USB and DVD boots that are for specific purposes:

-- a few Puppy Linux boots for bypassing broken Windows to allow data folder/file copying onto external media

-- a few antivirus, a few antimalware boots that do just that:  scan for viri and malware [must be updated regularly]

-- Windows 7 Startup Repair [you would have to make these for Windows 8, 8.1 & a few of Windows 10 builds

The above only covers a tiny fraction of things you will encounter during your days of IT in-house or on the road. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,528 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:54 AM

To give you an idea of what you're "up against," google any specific task or fix and add: top ten.

You will get at least 2 places if not more than 2 places, each with their top ten just for that specific task or fix.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 May 2016 - 11:54 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 The-Administrater

The-Administrater

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:14 AM

hijackthis I have seen many times when people post about problems. Apparently it doesnt fix issues, but produces list of files, registry entrees etc that can be used to identify faults. Not something I have used as I wouldnt be able to understand the readouts, but if you know your IT stuff it may be useful.

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 03:37 PM

While I agree with the above posts that there's no one list, I always run the free version of MalwareBytes first thing when I suspect malware.  There are a number of free antivirus programs, but no two people seem to agree on what's "best".  I've never heard of anybody getting a problem from anything they downloaded from Bleeping Computer or Ninite, FWIW.  At Bleeping Computer (here) you can click on virus related software and browse through the list.  At Ninite they have 8 programs listed under Security.  I've used the free version of AVG a lot in the past, but lately it takes forever to get up to date, and it's started giving a lot of popups.   The very best info on malware I've ever seen is right here in the Bleeping Computer Security forums.

Minitoolbox is great for extracting errors from the system event log, and Speccy is good for quickly getting the specs for a given computer as is Belarc Advisor.  And Treesize is handy for finding out where every bit and byte is being used on a hard drive.  I like EasyBCD for fixing multiple boot options, and I keep the Firefox browser handy too.  You can download memory diagnostics from Microsoft and hard drive diagnostics from Western Digital and Seagate.

These are a few of my tools, but are no means all you'd need, and if you get answers from other folks, you're all but guaranteed to get different answers!

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users