Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to update after clean reinstall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zone out

Zone out

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:47 AM

Hi.

I just did a clean reinstall of windows 7 on my hp laptop. But now i cant download the updates. I have sp 1 installed but now when i check for updates it just hangs for hours. I have looked around and found that this is not an uncommon problem. Unfortunatelly there seem to be dozens of half solutions and im not sure what to do. I would like to avoid going online with a years outdated version of IE to manually download files the people suggest but that may not be possible.

If anyone has a way to fix this i would be gratefull, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

First Install KB3145739 and KB3102810 

Then the following

Windows Update Agent

Windows Update Client   March 2016

#3 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

Part of the problem is MS didn't release a new SP after 1 and you have to do a bunch of updates that I've heard some people say takes over a day. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#4 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

I tried the above instructions but my browser wont even open the microsoft website, it just freezes up and says internet explorer not responding. So im back to square one.

#5 Zone out

Zone out
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:06 AM

Its ok, i sat it out for around 4 hours and they eventually downloaded.

#6 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:55 AM

Yeah I had a bunch of computers at work I had to reinstall the windows 7 OS with SP1 on it and after the inital updates it took hours for them to find the 200+ updates they needed but they eventually got there. 

#7 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

Many people leave their computer running overnight and most of the time the updates are found by morning but this has been a big issue for awhile now .

When i reinstalled it took 14 hours to find all of them , terrible .  Set your computer to not "sleep, hibernate/shutdown".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users