Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can no longer copy files from desktop to USB drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 techboy

techboy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:05 PM

First of all, I have run several antivirus/antimalware programs and everything comes up clean. I'm running Windows 7 with all the updates. The computer is a 32-bit system with 4gb ram. Below is my reason for this post:

I have a desktop computer that’s about 4 yrs old. (I know…THAT’S OLD) I used the usb drive (Western Digital 2TB) for transferring video clips or movies and never had any issues. Then one day, I tried transferring files as usual and even though the computer recognized the usb drive, the transfer rate was less than 2 KB/sec. I disconnected the drive and re-connected and tried again. Same result.

That was just one of the issues. At other times, the drive couldn’t be recognized. It was really becoming hit or miss. I did a chkdsk scan and although errors were found, they couldn’t be corrected. In frustration, I reformatted the drive, hoping that maybe this would solve the problem. Not so.

Strangely enough, when I would connect this drive to another computer, everything seemed fine. It was quickly detected and the transfer rates were fine. This would seem to indicate that the issue was with my desktop computer, not the drive. But I don’t believe it’s the old computer. You see, besides the 2TB WD drive, I also have a 3TB Seagate drive that I use for doing backups, and I can transfer 13GB of files in about 5-6 minutes. And I can do that consistently with the Seagate drive.

Thinking the drive was defective, I returned it to WD for warranty and received a brand new 2TB. Same issues. Has anyone else had this happen? The way it's working, this drive is useless to me and it's driving me around the bend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:23 PM

Did you attempt a chkdsk repair using the computer it worked efficiently on? If it's also a hit or miss in connecting, it might be a decline in health. I would not back up anything important on to that drive for now, just to be safe. Try crystaldiskinfo or a similar smart tool to see if either your C or external drives are reporting health issues. There is also an official WD lifeguard diagnostics tool that will perform tests on your drive.

As another test, a third party copying tool such as fastcopy or teracopy instead of windows own default method might also be worth a go. If successful, that may hint that the problem is down to windows rather than any hardware. If the system is clean from malware, check back to see what programs or drivers were installed just prior to the drive suddenly slowing. You might be able to uninstall the problematic program. I know that an incompatible usb ems gamepad driver on windows 10 once caused problems with my external hard drive -it kept spinning down whilst connected. Removing the driver fixed the issue. Another option (last resort?) to test if it's windows related might be to either reinstall windows altogether, or to partition the same system with some empty space, and install another OS alongside to test the drive. I have had linux mint or ubuntu alongside windows before, so it would be easy to switch and test if any problems occurred with hardware it also recognised

#3 techboy

techboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:36 PM

Yes, I do regular scans on my hard drive to make sure there are no surprises. WD diagnostic software says the drive is fine. I have used ExtremeCopy, which helped a bit, but it caused Windows Explorer to hang a lot when I would right-click on a file to either copy it or just look at Properties, so I uninstalled it. I'm also thinking that if the problem is being caused by an incompatible driver, it should affect my other USB drive, but that's not the case. It just seems to be the WD drive that's being affected, but I have no idea what is causing it.

#4 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:51 AM

You could try checking in device manager for warnings, from there uninstalling the empty external drive, or removing all usb related drivers, one of which could be in conflict.Aside from removing updates, make sure drivers for third party devices in windows are set not to automatically install with windows. Have you installed any new devices recently? If nothing works and it's not related to health then I guess the issue could be harder to pinpoint in the registry.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:39 AM

On the computer that is affected did you try every USB port on the computer? Detach the WD drive. Download USBdeview and run it. Where there is a listing for your WD drive remove the driver. Reboot and attach the WD. It would also be a good idea to remove any Vendor Specific listing for any device that is no longer connected to the computer.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 May 2016 - 08:42 AM.

#6 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

I forgot about that, I think I used that too when the ems usb driver caused problems with my spinning down hdd (on win 10 in my case).

Nirsoft have a lot of useful utilities

#7 techboy

techboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 05:39 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll check them out and get back.

#8 techboy

techboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

Well, I tried out the various suggestions and still no resolution. Western Digital support even had me format the drive and still, it doesn't help. They even offered to replace it a second time. I'm thinking it must be my computer, but that still doesn't explain why my 3TB Seagate drive works perfectly as well as my flash drives. Why won't my computer and this WD drive get along??

I guess we'll just close this as it seems nothing helps. Thanks for all your ideas.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

I guess you could boot a live linux disk and try copying files to the USB flash drive to test. If your speed is slow then I would put the fault with the computer. Does the new WD transfer files fine on another computer?

For the linux distro try Fatdog64. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD. Boot the disk and when you are at the desktop you will see your hard drive partitions labeled sda1.. sda2 depending on the number of partitions. Click once on a sdaX icon and look for your windows partition. If you do not see your files then close the window and click on another sdaX partition. 

Fatdog64-702.iso

Attach your WD external. You will get a USB icon on the desktop. Click once on it. Drag and resize each window until they are side by side. Highlight the files you wish to copy by left clicking and dragging around the files/folders you wish to copy. You can also select by left clicking files/folders while holding the Ctrl key. Drag the files from your sdaX partition window to the WD window. A small dialog window will appear. Select the copy button and check quiet. See how fast your files copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users