Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need to install drivers with linux mint

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 daveycrockett

daveycrockett

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

Hello - I lost my win10 os completely while attempting to do an alongside install of Ubuntu. I am going to try a fresh install of mint for 32bit on this pc, will drivers be included once i have my download on the flash drive? Or am I asking a too simplistic question and not providing enough info?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:01 PM

In my (limited) experience Linux Mint simply does the job itself.....it will establish an internet connection and then if it needs any extra drivers it will simply download them and you will be good to go. Virtually no input will be required from you.

The only seriously minor hiccup I encountered was the "native' (linux) driver for my graphics card was a bit 'ordinary'....so I elected to update that myself a bit down the track.....but other than that, everything worked 'Out of the box"

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

Hello - I lost my win10 os completely while attempting to do an alongside install of Ubuntu. I am going to try a fresh install of mint for 32bit on this pc, will drivers be included once i have my download on the flash drive? Or am I asking a too simplistic question and not providing enough info?

For starters, are you sure you lost Windows 10?  Maybe we should take a look see to make sure, that is, if you still want it.

Let's make sure you are running a 32ibt pc.  Just because it has a 32bit OS on it don't necessarily mean it is a 32bit CPU.  This way you will get a little better security and be able to run Google Chrome.

"Drivers":  For the most part you don't have to worry about this, unless you have certain Graphics Cards etc.  Even then you should be able to just boot it up and install.  If you can post up some of your specs, or the Make and Model of the pc we can take a look to foresee any issues.  We can also get specs the next time you boot up linux.  If you want to do that, just say the word and which distro you will use.

once i have my download on the flash drive?

You've done this before, so you know you don't download on the flash drive right?  You download to the pc and then use one of the popular installers to create a bootable USB, LinuxLiveUSB "if you will"

Edited by pcpunk, 08 May 2016 - 08:53 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 daveycrockett

daveycrockett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:07 PM

Yes I definitely lost my win10 completely. So I now have ubuntu 16.04 up and running. I thought I would try and install mint, but the current system was already partially installed, so GOODBYE WIN10 - GOODBYE Bill Gates you lousy NWO social engineering scumbag!!

Edited by daveycrockett, 08 May 2016 - 09:08 PM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:07 PM

Can you give us your specs?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.