Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

how to open documents with .doc in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Picolo

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:46 PM

Sometimes I get documents with the .doc extension using Windows Words.   Is  there a way to open them

without buying Words

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:57 PM

You need a word processing program that is compatible with the .doc format.  An office suite comes with several modules, including a word processor.  A .doc file is a Microsoft Office document.  Here are some free office suites in no particular order:

Any one of the above suites can open/read Microsoft Office formats.

Edited by Agouti, 08 May 2016 - 04:59 PM.

#3 saw101

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

In addition to the great recommendations by Agouti to download one of the free office suites, you could instead just download the free Microsoft Word Viewer.

You would be able to view and print Doc files but you would not be able to create or edit word documents.

The free Word Viewer is available here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,285 posts
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

You can also use Google Docs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users