Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Motherboard and RAM for a VmWare and Audio Enthusiast Build?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

I am in the process of designing and building a system for a friend and am looking for some feedback.

He is is a Audio enthusiast but will also be installing and running VMware vSphere. (He wants 32 gigs of ram to run multiple VMs.)

Currently we just need to pick out the Motherboard and RAM.
Does anyone have any suggestions for this build?

Any and all other suggestions or comments, regarding the build, are welcome

Current Build

Audio Interface (Already Owned)
External MOTU 896MK3

Firewire PCIE Adapter ($25)
SYBA 2-port of 1394b + 1-port of 1394a Firewire Ports PCI-Express Controller Card (SY-PEX30016)

Motherboard
Any Suggestions?

These are some boards we were looking at.

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

MSI MSI Gaming Z170A GAMING M5 LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor
Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($350)

Processor Cooler
Cryorig H7($35)
or
Noctua NH-14($73)
or
Coolermaster Hyper 212 ($75)
Will have to figure out which one of these fits, especially if the RAM has cooling fins.

RAM
32 Gigabytes of RAM
Any Suggestions?

Videocard
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GAMING ACX 2.0 04G-P4-2972-KR ($340)

Hard Drives
1x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB ($350)

1x BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5" HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure ($36)

1x WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD1003FZEX($75)

CD/DVD Drive Burner($30)
1x Plextor 24X SATA DVD/RW Dual Layer Burner Drive Writer - Black Optical Drives PX-891SAF

Power Supply ($200)
CORSAIR AXi series AX860i 860W

Case($149)
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

I like Gigabyte and Asus boards.  They tend to be very solid choices.  For RAM, you need DDR4-2133.  I suggest the Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133.  I use the DDR3 variant of this and have never had any memory issues.  I use a large 120mm CPU cooler and the fins clear the top of the RAM.

3939.png

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:09 AM

You already have CPU also? As for multiple virtual machines hexa core like i7-5820K is much better choice.

Also GTX970 is somewhat impossible to recommend as AMD and Nvidia are releasing much better new generation cards for that price range soon.

Unless there is real need for huge files, two SSD's are better than just one because one can be dedicated to virtual machines only. And in case heavy use is planned, 850 Evo is not good choice as it uses unreliable TLC NAND and is slow when SLC buffer fills.

DVD-drive is very expensive, as similar drives can be found under 20 bucks.

PSU is overkill and very expensive. Good quality 550W PSU is more than enough.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 09 May 2016 - 10:10 AM.

#4 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi
  • Topic Starter

• 1,313 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

I like Gigabyte and Asus boards.  They tend to be very solid choices.  For RAM, you need DDR4-2133.  I suggest the Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133.  I use the DDR3 variant of this and have never had any memory issues.  I use a large 120mm CPU cooler and the fins clear the top of the RAM.

I will definitely keep tis RAM in mind. And I agree ASUS is great. My current rig is running a Rampage III Extreme.
Iits just that many of their newer boards seem to have factory defects.

You already have CPU also? As for multiple virtual machines hexa core like i7-5820K is much better choice.

Also GTX970 is somewhat impossible to recommend as AMD and Nvidia are releasing much better new generation cards for that price range soon.

Unless there is real need for huge files, two SSD's are better than just one because one can be dedicated to virtual machines only. And in case heavy use is planned, 850 Evo is not good choice as it uses unreliable TLC NAND and is slow when SLC buffer fills.

I agree the videocard can easily be replaced, now that the new generation of cards is about to be released. I think I will go ahead and review this.

I doubled the SSDs and removed the WD hardrive. (Ironically this is what my friend wanted to begin with, but I talked him out of it due to the price.)

The DVD drive is high quality, which is very important if he will be burning his own CDs. Since he is a professional, any demo disks he creates or audio he masters must be without problems.

We chose that PSU because he may be adding additional audio equipment to this build, at a later time, which would increase the overall power requirements.

Note: I updated the build with a new processor and motherboard.
However I have some concerns that I may no have enough inputs on the motherboard for the cases from panel USB ports etc.

Edited by King_Yoshi, 09 May 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#5 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi
  • Topic Starter

• 1,313 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

This is the updated build, since I cannot seem to edit the original post.

Current Build

Audio Interface (Already Owned)
External MOTU 896MK3

Firewire PCIE Adapter ($25)
SYBA 2-port of 1394b + 1-port of 1394a Firewire Ports PCI-Express Controller Card (SY-PEX30016)

Motherboard
ASUS SABERTOOTH X99

Processor
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3 GHz ($390)

Processor Cooler
Cryorig H7($35)
or
Noctua NH-14($73)
or
Coolermaster Hyper 212 ($75)
Will have to figure out which one of these fits, especially if the RAM has cooling fins.

RAM
32 Gigabytes of RAM
Any Suggestions?

Videocard
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GAMING ACX 2.0 04G-P4-2972-KR ($340)

Hard Drives
2x SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB ($350 each)

2x BYTECC Bracket-35225 2.5" HDD/SSD Mounting Kit For 3.5" Drive Bay or Enclosure ($36)

CD/DVD Drive Burner($30)
1x Plextor 24X SATA DVD/RW Dual Layer Burner Drive Writer - Black Optical Drives PX-891SAF

Power Supply ($200)
CORSAIR AXi series AX860i 860W

Case($149)
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced

Edited by King_Yoshi, 09 May 2016 - 07:31 PM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:49 AM

I will definitely keep tis RAM in mind. And I agree ASUS is great. My current rig is running a Rampage III Extreme.
Iits just that many of their newer boards seem to have factory defects.

I agree the videocard can easily be replaced, now that the new generation of cards is about to be released. I think I will go ahead and review this.

I doubled the SSDs and removed the WD hardrive. (Ironically this is what my friend wanted to begin with, but I talked him out of it due to the price.)

The DVD drive is high quality, which is very important if he will be burning his own CDs. Since he is a professional, any demo disks he creates or audio he masters must be without problems.

We chose that PSU because he may be adding additional audio equipment to this build, at a later time, which would increase the overall power requirements.

Note: I updated the build with a new processor and motherboard.
However I have some concerns that I may no have enough inputs on the motherboard for the cases from panel USB ports etc.

I meant two smaller SSD's and HDD. SSD's are unreliable for data storage so HDD is preferred. Also SSD for OS only does not need to be large. So I recommend one large SSD, one smaller SSD and one HDD. And SSD preferably someting else than Samsungs unreliable (or untested, make your choice) TLC tech.

IMO all DVD drives are same crappy quality so I buy 2 drives from different manufacturer for every machine.

And that audio equipment will be connected to what? USB? As USB 3.0 supports maximum 4.5 watts per port, your friend will run out of USB ports before even 550W PSU will have problems. PCI Express x1? Those slots support at most 10 watts so again, no problem. So again, buying 850W PSU is waste of money because those extra watts will never be needed. In contrast, my machine 125W TDP CPU, 200W TDP video card, 24GB memory, 3*HDD, 2*SSD, 12 USB devices, 7 140 mm fans. And 520W PSU.

For last concern, motherboard supports internal connectors 4*USB 3.0 and 4*USB 2.0, those can be used for case front panel USB. Total, there is 8*USB 3.0, 8*USB 2.0 and 2*USB 3.1. Quite few USB 2.0 ports but huge amount of USB 3.0 ports so ther should be no problems.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 10 May 2016 - 05:51 AM.

#7 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi
  • Topic Starter

• 1,313 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:58 AM

I meant two smaller SSD's and HDD. SSD's are unreliable for data storage so HDD is preferred. Also SSD for OS only does not need to be large. So I recommend one large SSD, one smaller SSD and one HDD. And SSD preferably someting else than Samsungs unreliable (or untested, make your choice) TLC tech.

We were looking at 1 large SSD for the OS and for storing the VMs. Hard drive speed makes a large difference when running multiple Vms.

I may just go back to my original 1 large SSD and 1 large disk HD.

For last concern, motherboard supports internal connectors 4*USB 3.0 and 4*USB 2.0, those can be used for case front panel USB. Total, there is 8*USB 3.0, 8*USB 2.0 and 2*USB 3.1. Quite few USB 2.0 ports but huge amount of USB 3.0 ports so ther should be no problems.

For some reason I must have missed the internal USB ports in the motherboard documentation.
Thank you for taking a look at this.

And that audio equipment will be connected to what? USB? As USB 3.0 supports maximum 4.5 watts per port, your friend will run out of USB ports before even 550W PSU will have problems. PCI Express x1? Those slots support at most 10 watts so again, no problem. So again, buying 850W PSU is waste of money because those extra watts will never be needed. In contrast, my machine 125W TDP CPU, 200W TDP video card, 24GB memory, 3*HDD, 2*SSD, 12 USB devices, 7 140 mm fans. And 520W PSU.

He may be getting additional equipment at a later point in time, such as the following...
RME HDSPe MADI FX - 390 Channel PCIe Audio Card

Again, the build is suppose to be "future proof" so if he decides to upgrade anything or buy additional equipment he will not need to buy a new powersupply.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

We were looking at 1 large SSD for the OS and for storing the VMs. Hard drive speed makes a large difference when running multiple Vms.

I may just go back to my original 1 large SSD and 1 large disk HD.

Yes, hard drive speed makes difference and so I recommend one SSD for OS and another for VM's. I use that kind of setup myself.

He may be getting additional equipment at a later point in time, such as the following...
RME HDSPe MADI FX - 390 Channel PCIe Audio Card

Again, the build is suppose to be "future proof" so if he decides to upgrade anything or buy additional equipment he will not need to buy a new powersupply.

That card takes around 10 watts maximum. So 550W and 860W PSU's are equally future proof. Add 650W if want to be sure but 860W is simply waste of money in this build.

#9 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:27 PM

Plextor used to be the CD and DVD drive Mercedes many years ago, but I agree all DVD drives are all poor quality now a days.  What do you expect for $30...my Plextors cost over $100 in the day.  Of course they are all IDE as well since this predated the SATA era .  The day of the $15 DVD Burner put an end to well built DVD Burners and turned them into disposable commodity items that held up because they were generally used so few times. 

I agree with everything else said, especially about the Wattage needs.

My only comment about a audiophile setup is I would want a silent or at least a quiet build.  Fanless PSU, CPU heat sink, large steel  tower, ATX MB, fanless GPU if needed though onboard graphics would likely suffice, no case fans, SSDs .... silent except for thermal expansion and the burner. 

Edited by Fascist Nation, 11 May 2016 - 12:33 PM.

#10 KellyB56

KellyB56

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:25 AM

Think twice about mixing Firewire with Z170 or X99 unless you're sure the FW card you've selected is compatible with both the drivers for the FW gear to be used and the MB chipset. Lots of people are reporting problems getting their FW cards to work with Z170 and X99 chipsets. Compatibility problems are happening with both VIA and TI FW card chipsets. The most common FW audio interfaces are those made by Focusrite and those owners are having problems. I'm one of them. Read all about it in the Focusrite support section. Have recently read about the same problem with Motu.

KenB

Edited by KellyB56, 06 June 2016 - 04:26 AM.

#11 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi
  • Topic Starter

• 1,313 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:28 AM

Think twice about mixing Firewire with Z170 or X99 unless you're sure the FW card you've selected is compatible with both the drivers for the FW gear to be used and the MB chipset. Lots of people are reporting problems getting their FW cards to work with Z170 and X99 chipsets. Compatibility problems are happening with both VIA and TI FW card chipsets. The most common FW audio interfaces are those made by Focusrite and those owners are having problems. I'm one of them. Read all about it in the Focusrite support section. Have recently read about the same problem with Motu.

KenB

Thank you for this information. I was not at all aware there were driver problems.

Is there currently a brand that works properly?

#12 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,354 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2016 - 10:59 AM

Firewire was declared dead in 2009 by Steve Jobs. I think you are going to have difficulty finding anything that works. Windows 7 and later doesn't support FW.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users