Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Graphic card

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ShiKiba

ShiKiba

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

Hello i am in the dark about the whole graphic card thing. So i currently have a geforce gt 220 and would like to upgrade it to something better the main purpose would be to get more frames in CS:GO currently 60-120 fps on 800x600 resolution (Highly depends on the place where i am)

CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5500 @ 2.80 Ghz 2.80
RAM: 2GB ddr2
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. G31M-ES2L (Socket 775)
PSU: 400W

Budget would be around 80$

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Frizzlee

Frizzlee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:33 PM

Since you are "In the dark about the whole graphics card thing" I will provide a bit of extra information to help clear things up (hopefully).

The first thing you want to look at when upgrading your graphics card is the expansion slots on your motherboard, since this is where the graphics card will go.  If I am not mistaken, this should be your motherboard

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3485#ov

If you look in the specifications tab, you will notice a tab that shows ' expansion slots '. These are the slots that your graphics card ( or sound card etc. ) will be able to fit into. 

W1b8fDv.png

Your motherboard has 4 expansion slots, nice! To give you a better idea where these are located I made an image with the slots surrounded in Red. ( I'm sure you already know but if you don't here ya go ).

The blue slot is the PCI Express x16 Slot. The small Cream colored slot is the  PCI Express x1 slot. And the 2 bigger Cream slots are the PCI slots. Hopefully this clears things up.

opjknXH.png

So now that is out of the way. Hopefully you have a better understanding of what to be looking for.  Now it is time to pick a graphics card to upgrade to.  We are going to pick a Graphics card that fits into the PCI Express x16 slot.

This is the card I have chosen: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487055  

• $67.99

The reasons I chose this card is that it is in your Budget range of course. Also it is small and compact since I believe your motherboard is a Micro ATX, which leads me to believe your case isn't big. So hopefully this card will fit into your case. The Dimensions for this card are: (L x H) 2.7" x 5.7"

I believe this card should be a nice upgrade from the GT 220. I could not really find a better option with your budget.  Also, if you notice the Graphics card is a PCI Express 2.0 slot. This will still work with the PCI Express x16 slot. 

Hopefully this helps clear things up! If anything I hope I put you on the right track into upgrading your Graphics Card. Happy Gaming!  :bananas:

Edited by Frizzlee, 08 May 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#3 ShiKiba

ShiKiba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:58 PM

I lean towards this Gigabyte GeForce GT 730, 2GB GDDR5 (64 Bit), HDMI, DVI, D-Sub. The price is decent but i'm most afraid will it fit in?

#4 Frizzlee

Frizzlee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:15 AM

I lean towards this Gigabyte GeForce GT 730, 2GB GDDR5 (64 Bit), HDMI, DVI, D-Sub. The price is decent but i'm most afraid will it fit in?

Is there a way you could provide a link to the Graphics Card you are looking at?

Edit: If this is the card - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3FA3VN7333&cm_re=Gigabyte_GeForce_GT_730%2c_2GB_GDDR5_%2864_Bit%29-_-14-125-775-_-Product

Then, Yes. It will work just fine!

Edited by Frizzlee, 09 May 2016 - 12:20 AM.

#5 ShiKiba

ShiKiba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:35 AM

http://www.skytech.lt/gvn730d52gi-gigabyte-geforce-730-2gb-gddr5-bit-hdmi-dvi-dsub-p-201697.html (it's in lithuanian)

From this but it's prob the same. Yes?

And 1 more question is there a difference between gigabyte and asus?

Edited by ShiKiba, 09 May 2016 - 12:41 AM.

#6 Frizzlee

Frizzlee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:54 AM

From this but it's prob the same. Yes?

Yes that Graphics card will fit in your Motherboard just fine! :thumbsup:

And 1 more question is there a difference between gigabyte and asus? 

It is hard to say a direct difference between the Two. Obviously the Graphics cards are going to look different and what not, but the real difference will be down to the Specifications when you are comparing the two.  You probably can find two Graphics Cards with the same Specifications from them, and then it all comes down to preference at that point, and previous reviews. All in all, I have owned both Gigabyte and Asus Graphics Cards in the past and have no complaints. 

Edited by Frizzlee, 09 May 2016 - 12:56 AM.

#7 ShiKiba

ShiKiba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:09 AM

Thanks you've helped me a lot! Gonna go with this graphic card. :)

#8 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:09 AM

Yes it will, unless your case is the slim type (small form factor).

#9 Frizzlee

Frizzlee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:18 AM

Yes it will, unless your case is the slim type (small form factor).

Yes as Stancestans pointed out, make sure it fits inside your case! The dimensions are H=29 L=177 W=126 mm 

Happy Gaming!  :bananas:

Edited by Frizzlee, 09 May 2016 - 01:20 AM.

#10 ShiKiba

ShiKiba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 06:10 AM

I've been reading about these cards and was thinking what about r7 250? The price is very similar to gt 730. And i could get a couple of more bucks. Is it compatible with my motherboard is it any good? Would be really awesome if you could help some more :P

And my pc case is pretty big :D

#11 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

I've been reading about these cards and was thinking what about r7 250? The price is very similar to gt 730. And i could get a couple of more bucks. Is it compatible with my motherboard is it any good? Would be really awesome if you could help some more :P

And my pc case is pretty big :D

R7 250 is superior to the GT 730, but made particularly for (online) gaming and as such it does not feature a VIDEO CODEC ENGINE (VCE) (WITH H.264, MPEG-4 ASP, MPEG-2, VC-1 & BLU-RAY 3D), making it unsuitable for 3D video and 3D image processing. If you intend to use it for more than just gaming then the R7 250 is not a good choice. The GT 730 on the other hand has support for 3D bluray, 3D video and 3D image processing, which means it has the necessary video codec engine required for those tasks.

Compare their specs here http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/r7 and here http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt-730/specifications

Edited by Stancestans, 09 May 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#12 ShiKiba

ShiKiba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:13 AM

I use my pc for everything so i guess R7 250 is not for me, gonna go with the GT 730! And huge thanks for helping me :)

#13 ShiKiba

ShiKiba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

Just to let you know i bought the card and it's really good all that i wanted it provides :)) thanks for your help!

#14 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:29 AM

Just to let you know i bought the card and it's really good all that i wanted it provides :)) thanks for your help!

Good to know! You're welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users