Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleted Hotmail account now cannot log into Windows 10 Laptop

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BonnieW

BonnieW

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:56 PM

I had to delete my hotmail account I originally used to set up my Asus laptop because it was seriously hacked and being used to sell things in my name.  Had to change my hotmail account completely.   Now I can not sign into it in anyway.  This computer is brand new and now useless. 

Help.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

I would first go here and select I think someone else is using my account. I would also create a new Windows Live Account.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

If the above does not work then with the newly created account select the link on this page - Fill out this online form.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/unblock-your-microsoft-account-or-outlook-email

#3 BonnieW

BonnieW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

John I do not need a new password.  This account NO longer exists.  I did set up a new account but cannot change THAT on my windows 10 computer so I cannot sign into an account that does not exist. 

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

I think that it might be time to completely reinstall Windows 10. Do you have a lot of personal data and files on this laptop? If not, do you feel comfortable doing a clean install of Windows 10?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 BonnieW

BonnieW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

I just called Best Buy and they told me that is the only solution. unreal.  And this is a laptop with no disk since I am locked out cannot download or delete anything.

Edited by BonnieW, 08 May 2016 - 03:48 PM.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

I'm sorry Bonnie, I figured that might be your only option. I sure hope that you did not have a lot of personal files on that laptop. Somebody else might come along here real soon that might be able to help you rescue your files.

Good luck.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

It's possible the data is encrypted because a email account was used to login to the computer but I would follow Rocky's suggestion and pull what personal data you can.

There is a utility that will enable the Hidden Administrator Account in Windows but I don't know if this works for Windows 10. Once the Administrator Account is enabled you could login to it and create a user account. Here is the page describing the procedure. You do not want to reset any passwords, only enable the hidden administrator account. There is a later version of the program here

A video showing how to use the utility.

There may be another way to access the Administrator Account. At the login screen there is a power icon. Hold the shift key and select restart. Can you access a command prompt?

#8 BonnieW

BonnieW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Luckily I did not have much on that one so they can wipe it clean and start over. John will check out your links.  I knew someone would come thru for me if anything was possible.  Luckily is so new Best Buy will reset for free.  Wanted to charge me $100 to back up but obviously that computer is not being used much or I would not be able to type this :bounce:  :bananas: .  Wish their was an emoji for pulling my hair out, have spend all day trying to figure this out.  Very bad system Microsoft windows has going on.  

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

You do not need to consult best buy to reinstall. You can do it a couple of ways. If this computer came with Windows 10 you can do a factory reset that will take it back to the day of purchase. 

You can access the repair menu by booting the computer and waiting for the spinning circle. Do a hard shut down with the power button at the spinning circle by keeping the power button down. Do this for a number of times and the repair screen will appear. This is if you do not want any data off the computer.

http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013965

Edit: Tapping F9 at boot may give you the recovery manager.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 May 2016 - 04:17 PM.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

First of all, I believe when you delete a Hotmail, Outlook or Microsoft account, it is only marked for deletion.  The account still exist and you can re-activate it at any time within 60 days simply by signing in again.

One other thing, Microsoft wants you to create a Microsoft Account, so they have sorta hidden the option to create a Local Account.  If you don't need any of the functionality that a Microsoft Account brings, you can create a Local Account by following this article.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,708 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

What I don't understand here is why it even matters whether or not the original e-mail account you used as the login ID for your Microsoft Account exists anymore or not.  I've known several people who've changed e-mail providers after setting up a Microsoft Account, and there are no problems.  I believe that Microsoft will ask you for a new e-mail address when you log in to your Microsoft Account on the Microsoft website if there have been bounces from the one that's your login id, but that's it.

Try logging in to your Microsoft Account on Microsoft.com, changing your password so that you can try logging in from your computer with the old e-mail address and new password, and adding your new e-mail address as a new account alias.  You could also choose to use a phone number as a new login alias.

Brian

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#12 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

It's always a good idea to create 2 admin accounts in Windows 10 (with one as a backup incase an emergency happens).

Here is an article on something you can do. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#13 BonnieW

BonnieW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:52 AM

Have been working on this for two days now with Microsoft, Outlook etc.  They said my old email does not exist but I could set it up again. However there is now no such thing as hotmail anymore, it would have to be .outlook so again this will not and does not work.   I give up on this and am taking the computer back to the store where I purchased it for tech support and a factory reset.  They told me exactly the same thing if I cannot retrieve the EXACT email address it does not matter how many times I attempt to change a password that account does not exist and cannot be recreated.  

#14 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:21 AM

You can perform the factory reset yourself, saves you the hassle of taking it back for such a simple task. You don't even have to reset it to factory, you just need a new local account which I can help you set up if you're up for typing in commands in CMD (Command Prompt)

Edited by Stancestans, 09 May 2016 - 09:26 AM.

#15 BonnieW

BonnieW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:10 AM

You can perform the factory reset yourself, saves you the hassle of taking it back for such a simple task. You don't even have to reset it to factory, you just need a new local account which I can help you set up if you're up for typing in commands in CMD (Command Prompt)

Okay let me turn it on an try.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users