Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSVCR71.dII is missing, HELP !

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kez8

Kez8

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

Ho Folks, I'm actually not sure if my Laptop is Windows 7 or XP, don't know where to look for the info...

All I can say my Laptop is a Dell Latitude D531.which I purchased off Ebay ages ago ...

I recently had some malware on my comp, got rid of it .... However, now I am unable to import photos from my camera to my laptop, as I have always done ....   My usual photoware is Photopad image editor, as it mysteriously stopped working I

downloaded another couple of photo editors, they wounldnt work either...  a message popped up saying

MSVCR71.dII  is missing from your computer, I have attempted to follow instructions to get it back, but the info is WAY above my head....  I don't even know how to find the password as ~ Administrator .... Could someone tell me what to do in ~Really baby steps, Please   ?    Also, I will need to back up things and not done that before either... If something goes wrong I would not know how to use what I had backed up  !

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2016 - 10:32 AM.
Moved to AII from XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kez8

Kez8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:39 AM

Oh well,  I've discovered my Laptop is  ~ Windows 7  !    Yep, I'd really forgotten ...     :rolleyes: 

Next I did some more investigating ... found an easy peasy way to find my Administrator password.....   I simply clicked on ~Control Panel  then Add or remove user accounts..... Well appears I don't have a Password !  :unsure:   So I thought I had best leave well alone .....I don't want to make a bad situation worse.... I really do hope there is a simple way to get the corrupted file or whatever has gone wrong working again, as I need to post some stuff on Ebay and pics are required .... :(

#3 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hi there Kez8

Have you noticed if your Windows has performed any updates recently?

:step1:
Download MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to your desktop.
  • Double-click mbam-setup-2.2.1.1043.exe to start the installation of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
  • Follow the instructions on your screen to complete the installation. You can find the complete installation procedure here.
  • Click the Scan Now button, a threat scan will start automatically.
  • MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will now check for the latest updates. Click Update Now if new updates are available.
  • Your computer is now being scanned, please do not use your computer during the scan.
  • If no threats were found, click View detailed log.
    • Click Export and save the log as a .txt file on your Desktop or another location.
  • If the scan detected any threats, click Remove Selected.
    • If you are prompted to restart computer click Yes.
    • After reboot, start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware again and click the History Tab at the top and select Application Logs.
    • Check the box next to Scan Log. Choose the most current scan double click it.
    • Click Export and save the log as a .txt file on your Desktop or another location.
Providing the MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware log file
  • Attach the log file you just saved to your next reply for further review.
:step2:
  • Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
  • In the left pane, click Check for updates, and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer.
    If you see a message telling you that important updates are available, or telling you to review important updates, click the message to view and select the important updates to install.
  • In the list, click the important updates for more information. Select the check boxes for any updates that you want to install, and then click OK.
  • Click Install updates.
    Read and accept the license terms, and then click Finish if the update requires it. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#4 Kez8

Kez8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:50 AM

Hi there Kez8

Have you noticed if your Windows has performed any updates recently?

Hi Slurps,  :hello:   not sure if windows has performed any updates or whatever, however, upon your advice I ran a scan with Malwarebytes...
Couldn't find anything about the missing file but I ~Did however, find some ghastly malware on my system 18 of them to be precise one was a PUP Crossrider, the other a PUP open Candy.. and the other 16 were all  Fraud Tool.Yac,  .... YAC YUCK !   I Call them :angry:

I had thought I had got rid of every trace of that Malware, so Thank you ~So much for getting me to run the scan !

I'm not going to attempt, however, to retrieve that corrupt/missing file thingy, just too much hassle and I am absolutely hopeless with techy stuff...
True, I cannot use my regular Photopad Image Editor, however I have replaced it with a Windows photo editor instead, which is just as good, if not even better , and it  ~ Works !   :bananas:

#5 Slurppa

Slurppa

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

Take are probably harmless stuff that come when you install legit software. Many software are bundled with third party stuff like adware in order to generate revenue for the creator of the program. Your program usually asks whether you want to include those during the install so I recommend you read everything carefully when installing software :)

If you want I can review the log file to see there was anything nastier or something that might require special actions.
  • Open Malwarebytes. Dashboard should open.
  • Cick the History Tab at the top and select Application Logs.
  • Check the box next to Scan Log. Choose the most current scan double click it.

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#6 Kez8

Kez8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 04:17 PM

If you want I can review the log file to see there was anything nastier or something that might require special actions.

Many thanx 4 the offer, but the scan was pretty straight froward,  I.m happy as is...  for the time being anyway !  ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users