Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Internet - How to cnnect both computer and VOIP phone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

I hope this is the proper forum for my question.

I am weak on the technical issues for using cable Internet.  Let me tell you what I want to do and you tell me what equipment I should order from Cox Communications when they come to my apt. for the install.

I will be ordering Cable Internet from Cox.  I will be ordering VOIP phone from Pioneer Telephone and not from Cox.  Pioneer supplies a device that requires an incoming Ethernet connection from the cable modem.  The other end of this device connects to the phone.  My computer also requires an Ethernet connection from the modem. So what equipment do I need from Cox to accomplish this?  Do I need a router with multiple Ethernet connections where the router connects to the modem, and the computer & phone connect to the router?  Or can Cox supply a cable modem with multiple Ethernet connections for both phone and computer?  Or do I totally misunderstand this technology?

Please help - thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedarkness

thedarkness

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:15 PM

The adapter/device goes between the modem and router, the router having multiple ethernet connections for your network

for example

voip-installation_adapter_router.gif

#3 parasush

parasush

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:57 AM

For having a VoIP connection, there are 3 ways as follows:

1. Computer to Computer - For this type of connection, you need to have computer connected to internet with the required hardware. You can install a voice communication software like Skype and you are ready to communicate with anyone. The network must be IP-enabled. 

2. Phone to Phone - You can use IP phones or Analog Telephone Adapter for this type of connection. 
3. Phone to Computer and Vice-versa - The hardware and software are heavier in this case. 

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

I've found that users who get cable with VOIP get the modem that has the VOIP built in, all you do is plug in the phone.  Otherwise a router will be needed to allow VOIP and PC's to use the Ethernet port on the modem.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:29 AM

I have both...cable from phone to router, 3 systems with cables to router.  Not a problem :).  My routers cost $20 (I always have a backup).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users