Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Operating System

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rockdude668

rockdude668

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:26 AM

I have a Toshiba satellite L850 with 4 GB ram and intel core i3
I had windows 7 ultimate 64 bit on it and I was trying to dual boot windows 7 with Kali linux in that it deleted my c drive. I tried to install windows 10 but booting from USB came missing operating system
When I booted from pen drive on which Kali Linux was there it gave me Kali Linux boot menu. But I want to install windows. Please help me it gives only missing operating system screen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:57 AM

In general you'll install Windows first, then install the Linux OS

If you'd like assistance with it in Linux, please post over in the Linux forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/11/linux-unix/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rockdude668

rockdude668
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:30 AM

I tried to boot windows 10 from pen drive but the missing operating system screen came.I tried to burn the windows 10 iso file to a pendrive through the windows 7 usb download tool but it said that the iso is not a valid file.I runed the iso file in someone else laptop it worked. So I don't know what to do that is it my iso or laptop. Well thanx for responding

Edited by rockdude668, 10 May 2016 - 07:41 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

If it doesn't work in your laptop, but it does work in someone else's - then it's likely that you have a hardware problem.

I'd then suggest posting in the Internal Hardware forums for assistance with that:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

I'm not trying to blow you off, it's just that I really don't have a clue on how to proceed with this, and no one else has responded to your topic here.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:32 AM

You can try downloading the bootable Mini Tool Partition Wizard CD (be sure to select the right bit version for your computer), there's an option to scan for missing or lost partitions. Use the deep scan method if offered. 

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

Some of the features, including Partition Recovery.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/featurelist.html

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to hunt down reinstall media. I don't know what else to suggest, other than if & when you do regain your OS back, leave Kali alone. It's an advanced tool for those who knows what they're doing, and since you've torched your OS by messing around, that's a sign that you have no Kali nor Linux skills from the go. What do or did you plan on doing with Kali? 

Plus you need to learn the importance of backing up your computer (creating a disk image) at least once monthly. Macrium Reflect is a great free choice, and backup drives are at all time lows. Or you may have a spare 2.5" SATA HDD that you can install in a less than $6 shipped metal case on eBay to use for this purpose. Be sure to create a Rescue CD for when Recovery is needed. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380885054137?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

That is the cause of these issues, computer owners refuses to image their computers, nor bothers with creating recovery media, nor bothered with downloading Windows 7 for six years when it was freely available (if it's a Full version license, Microsoft has a site to download Windows 7). 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Either way, it's time for you to practice responsible use & maintenance of a computer, to include backup, before diving into the unknown. :)

Good Luck!

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 11 May 2016 - 05:35 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 rockdude668

rockdude668
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

I somehow managed to boot windows 10 setup but as soon as selecting install now it demands driver for installing windows 10

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 02:16 AM

Well, being that you installed the OS, your guess as to what driver that may be will be as good as ours. :)

It's probably going to be one from the Toshiba site & chances being a storage driver (must not be 'seeing' your drive), and you'll have to extract the driver's contents to a folder & burn to CD. May be best to download/extract as many as possible, so that you can write the folders to a CD, or copy to USB stick. 

Did Mini Tool Partition Wizard find your Recovery partition that most all OEM's computers ships with? If so, you can recover with that, update Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10 again. The Recovery partition can temporarily be made Active by also using Mini Tool Partition Wizard, after successful recovery, there's an option to click to make it Active, then click Apply & when it shows the operation as finished, eject the CD, reboot, and Windows 7 should reload itself, in the process setting back the proper Active partition (usually the 100MB System one). Whatever driver that's causing W10 not to clean install will likely be in that partition, and another reason why it's so critical to create recovery disc sets, after all a 5 pack of DVD's can't cost that much. I get 100 count sleeves for $12.99 shipped (on promo) from the Newegg site when I see am down to half of the current sleeve. Same with CD's, actually use more of these because backup & partition software are always updating, and one needs the bootable CD's for each. 

From there, simply take the long update path, and upgrade to W10 again. Yet you need to identify that driver needed, because you have a digital entitlement on the device once the OS is installed & after the first update & cannot, as you see, clean install w/out it, save it to a location where it won't get lost. Make sure the time is set when updating W10, many times, this will not be set properly for your region. 

You should start with downloading any storage drivers, and use the right click option for 7zip to extract the files to a folder bearing the same name. Don't forget any JMicron controllers, if any applies to your system. :)

EDIT: If not running a SSD, worth a shot, boot into the BIOS setup & change under Advanced settings, the SATA controller from AHCI to Compatibility mode, be sure to press F10 to save the settings, will reboot, have your W10 install media ready to roll. A quick Google search turned up this result, yet if running a SSD. forget it, AHCI is needed. Seems to be an issue with several models. 

Source of Information:

http://www.tomsguide.com/forum/63236-35-cannot-install-windows-toshiba-laptop

Hopefully this is of some help, if so then please let us know.  :)

If not, then reset the BIOS back to it's original AHCI value & press F10 to save. 

Good Luck!

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 12 May 2016 - 02:39 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2016 - 06:43 AM

What exactly does the error message say?
In most cases drivers aren't needed just to install W10 - especially with the more common system brands.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:22 AM

What exactly does the error message say?
In most cases drivers aren't needed just to install W10 - especially with the more common system brands.

That's what I'd have thought also, though there are a few stubborn models that requires the old 'F6' driver, fortunately can be installed from a USB stick or optical drive. If installing from USB stick & using Rufus, the correct choice must be chosen at the top of the interface. There's two main ones, to create media for UEFI/GPT formatted drives & another for BIOS-CSM/MBR partitions. The right option of the two must be chosen, or will be stonewalled. 

In general, as long as the W10 install shows as having a digital entitlement under Activation, one can clean install as needed. There's also the option to Refresh or Reset the computer, of which the latter may require reinstall media. That's OK, because one can download the latest W10 for this purpose, and avoid the few minor upgrades to date. There will be a major update, after the year's no-cost signup period is over, codenamed Redstone that will feature major improvements (more spyware :P). While W10 is free of cost for a year, that doesn't mean it's free as in free beer at an invited cookout, Microsoft will gain a lot of user's information, and when wanted (or mandated by their PRISM agreement signed in 2007), can silently use the webcam & mic to record activity to report back, as well as log keystrokes. Plus it's not guaranteed that these 3rd party services designed to block these activities will always be effective. 

That's why I'll install & keep one W10 OS on a notebook (in addition to my W10 Pro VM running in Linux MInt as a very early Insider) to assist others in need, but won't use for my personal needs, and will be a Local Account only. The VM is only fired up about once a month to keep updated. 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-confirms-windows-10-redstone-1-will-be-available-this-summer/

I'm still a bit lost as to how your OS install was torched by booting from Kali in Live Mode, you'd have had to attempt an install, which if the 'C' drive wasn't shrank in advance (best choice), would had to used GParted to for the procedure, never count on the OS install procedure to do perform this properly. GParted, which ships with most all Linux distros, has the ability to shrink partitions, still it's best to perform from Windows, by running a couple of defrag passes, then shrink whatever space is needed. In stubborn cases where not enough space can be gained by the inbuilt Windows Disk Management, Mini Tool Partition Wizard can usually handle this safely & after reboot, it's best to run a defrag pass. 

There's something about this Topic that's missing. Simply booting into Kali (or any Linux distro) won't cause this to happen, even if ran in LIve Mode for hours, many uses this option daily to perform safe transactions and to test distros, and has no issues with booting back into the installed OS. 

Cat

#10 rockdude668

rockdude668
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:00 PM

I was actually trying to dual boot windows and Kali Linux so there was a 109 GB size partition in installation option that in which partition to install, that I thought it was a temporary partition . Actually it was my c drive so it formated that drive and installed . When it restarted it showed the missing operating system screen

Edited by rockdude668, 17 May 2016 - 12:02 PM.

#11 rockdude668

rockdude668
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:41 AM

I downloaded the toshiba raid driver for windows 7 64bit but it said they should be signed to install or your windows will become unstable. I am trying to install windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:00 PM

I'm not ignoring you, I just would like to hear what cat1092 has to say about this.
My most likely response at this point will be a factory reinstall of W7 from Toshiba recovery disks.

#13 rockdude668

rockdude668
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:55 PM

And I also downloaded the minitool partition wizard boot able CD free edition . When I booted from it showed my all other drives but my c drive had changed into ext2 file and free version doesn't include any features of deleting or creating disks. So I'm trying to find professional version for free

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:45 AM

There was no option to scan for lost partitions? Usually there's a Deep Scan option if you choose right. :)

You may need to check again, as I've recovered an entire 1TB backup drive (with all folders intact) with the software that the Dell Backup & Recovery app wiped out after I reserved 250GB for it, will never use this option again. Check out the features that the free version offers. You'll have to click on the far left of the drive where it shows the total size, not any partitions, to be shown these options. 

https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

Keep in mind that the more you mess with this drive, the chances of regaining partitions goes up in smoke. Note that I'm not getting onto you, am only telling things like they are. :)

Is your Recovery Partition still on the drive? If so, you can restore W7 by right clicking on it, and make it Active, then click 'Apply' at the top of the screen. Then reboot, and W7 will reload & you'll have to update again. Normally Recovery will be at the very first part or far right end of the drive. Surely Kali didn't wipe the entire drive? There has to be some recoverable partitions, though you can safely delete any created by Kail, but do not format anything. Just delete any partition(s) created by Kali. 

Furthermore, you don't play with this software if you have no idea what you're doing. If you know nothing about Linux (otherwise would had caught this), then you have zero business with Kali, they'll even tell you so on the official Kali Forum. Some Linux skills are needed. Lastly, if you have a bootable USB drive, that's all you need to run many Linux distros, including Kali. It's not called 'pentesting' for nothing, Kali is meant to be a portable OS. Why would w/out a backup of your entire drive, you had taken such a risk? I'm positive there were warnings, even if you ignored any or didn't know (in full) what these meant. The creation of even 'temporary space' should had been a warning to back out. 

Finally, the million dollar question. What were you trying to accomplish with Kali on your main computer & please be honest. I've heard no less than a thousand times that users were going to 'test their home network'. With no knowledge of Linux, it's not possible, and most not likely the truth from the go. Those interested in securing their network has far easier options, beginning with router settings, described in the manual or on the site of the router OEM. :)

If you've not formatted your entire drive with Kali, and you've not previously deleted your Recovery Partition & written over it w/out creating a Recovery Media set first (consists of 3 to 5 DVD's), then it can be recovered. All OEM's has pop-ups as reminders to create this media, and if you're lucky enough to recover, do not touch nor remove that partition for as long as you own the computer, and be sure to create your Recovery Media set when prompted & before installing or upgrading to W10. Because you can't trust 'digital entitlements', if the system has changed, even to a SSD install & RAM upgrade, the hardware 'fingerprint' will be different, it's no longer based on the same MB only. 

Now it's time for you to get to work & find the C drive or Recovery Partition, either one you can find. Please report back when you do, or if Recovery only, then you can as described as above, mark the partition as Active, click Apply at the top of screen, eject CD & reboot. The drive will be reformatted to out of the box state, and don't forget to create your recovery media set afterwards, Toshiba has this shortcut in the Start Menu under that menu as one of the options. Or type 'Create Recovery Media' & the proper software should show. if not, don't proceed to W10 upgrade until you have it, should be called (under Toshiba) 'Recovery Media Creation'. If you don't have a backup drive, then this set becomes critical to have. 

You should also go to File Hippo & download the latest version of Macrium Reflect, and install after updating, to create a Full disk image of your drive. All you need is some type of external drive, and a new install won't use much space (maybe 35GB tops) after compression. Just create a folder beforehand on the external, and when booting into Macrium Reflect (at the top there's an option to add this to the Boot Menu to make it faster), have that drive connected. Then click onto your 'C' drive when you see it, underneath the option to 'Image this Disk' will be shown, choose that, and when prompted, choose the folder you created for the backup image to go. Then click 'Next, until you come to Finish, and the process will begin. Choose shutdown if you see it below the progress bar, sometimes it reboots, that lets you know to remove the drive upon the shutdown or reboot. 

I don't recommend upgrading to W10 w/out a backup image, nor in practice I do this. 

Good Luck! :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 22 May 2016 - 03:54 AM.

#15 rockdude668

rockdude668
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

Well I got minitool partition wizard + bootable media builder. I installed minitool partition wizard professional edition but I didnt know what to do with bootable media builder.iso so I made bootable usb with the iso file using rufus it showed free edition for home users. So I dont know how to make bootable minitool partition wizard professional edition with bootable media builder.iso so I can make changes because I cant make changes with free edition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users