Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDD Swap

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:25 PM

Hey guys!  Would someone help me decide if I can use a drive out of my Acer Aspire3000 to put into my Toshiba Satellite L505D-LS5007 also in my Signature.  Was going to get a new drive but then I got to thinking, I don't use this Acer for much because it has such horrible hardware and no sound.  It is housing an XP Install along with a Linux LXLE, so it is not all that useful to me.  They appear to be compatible to me, although the Acer one is only tested on Vista, I wouldn't think this will be an issue?  I see now that it is even the same PDF's!  Also, the Acer is low mileage, so why not rob that baby for it's drive?  

Here is the Toshiba drive

http://www.wdc.com/En/library/sata/2879-701278.pdf

Here is the Acer

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:15 AM

I cant see a problem as long as they are both 2.5 inch.

Both your links lead to the same page.

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:06 AM

Could be both uses the same type of drive, the Scorpio Blue has been used in 'value series' notebooks for a long time, just as the Scorpio Black series (of which I have two) are used in upper mid to high performance notebooks. Though today mainly as data/storage drives, the OS will be often installed on a fast SATA-3 or better yet, M.2 SSD that if on the right platform, will outrun a SATA-3 SSD by 2-3 times over. 

Though both are now used for backup drives, and if the Acer is headed to the scrap heap, may as well use the HDD to either create a backup drive with a less than $6 shipped case (USB 2.0 version), everything needed included, an all metal case for best cooling. Have three of these in use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380885054137?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or if USB 3.0 is needed (compatible with USB 2.0 & 1.1), there's another for less than $9 that I highly recommend for fast backups & a trusted brand, have one of these also. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131556406795?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Being that pcpunk had just installed a new SSD in the Toshiba, don't know why installing a HDD, unless he's decided to move the SSD to his HP or return it. In either case, will be left with a 2.5" drive that can be used for backups, an item that he needs. I build my own backup drives as I upgrade to SSD's, so have only once in my lifetime have purchased a retail packaged backup drive. As low cost as these are on promo, up to 1TiB in the $40-50 range, would be great paired with the USB 3.0 backup drive kit linked above. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:37 AM

To answer your question:

** And, I'm adding information about making restorable backups. **

Have you already made the USB or DVD boot for your backup/restore program?  Restoring takes a USB or DVD boot.  If yes, continue.  If no, please make such external boot before continuing.

For the Toshiba computer, for the Toshiba original HD, have you made a full image of your OS partition and your data partition?  If yes, put the Acer HD into the Toshiba computer and restore the current full OS partition and data partition.  If no, do the restorable Toshiba computer OS & data backups, when your answer changes to yes -- make the swap.  Although you did not ask:  I recommend at least one if not two full images of your OS and data partition onto at least one if not two external hard-drives.

You can also fresh install your OS onto the Acer HD [now in the Toshiba] to construct the infrastructure needed to boot Acer HD, to create the two partitions [if you want separate OS and data partitions], restart a few times.  Then, boot your USB or DVD backup/restore program and restore the OS image and data image onto their respective partitions.

I have done the above a few times.  Even though I'm on here sporadically, I can ReEnglish the above if any questions/comments.  Although you did not ask - I recommend:  of your Acer computer, of your Acer HD, make one of not two full images of your OS partition and data partition onto one external hard-drive.

Reason for all of the above:  There are plenty of threads, all over The 'Net, all over forum boards, about not having restorable backups -- when OS changes did not result in...happiness.  A restorable backup brings on the Hunter Patch Adams Excessive Happiness, and, personally, I love such happiness as restorable backups.

Edited by RolandJS, 08 May 2016 - 05:24 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 04:48 AM

I practice what I preach.  I just finished two of three computers, two computers now have a previous and current OS partition and data partition backups on their respective two hard-drives.  The third, I will do next week at school using Macrium Reflect on the fly.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:40 AM

I recommend at least one if not two full images of your OS and data partition onto at least one if not two external hard-drives.

RolandJS, Fantastic Idea that I've been practicing for quite some time & have passed on to many, though I suspect most of the time this falls on deaf ears. My most important installs are imaged weekly, and alternate backup drives when doing so. Why? Because while less prone to, even backup drives eventually fails, and it's best not to have all of one's backups on a single drive. Rather two or more, I have at least 6, and a couple more could also be used in a pinch. Until these various 'crypto' Malware attacks began taking place, would install a extra drive just for backup & disable defragmentation for that drive, these days, that's not a good idea. Backup drives should be detached as soon as finished with, and it's best to use a WinPE solution for backup/restore/cloning. 

I also use & recommend Macrium, and have added the option at boot to enter the Macrium WinPE environment (a choice at boot) that'll allow backup, restore, the checking of images, and finally cloning of drives. It's so simple to use that a 12 year old can do it, if used to running computers, and many youngsters of today are computer literate. Otherwise wouldn't be on social sites when they should be doing their homework. :P

Yet actual backup rates are no more as a percentage of users than at the turn of the Millennium over 16 years back. Though I build my own backup drives to save money & know what I have, retail packaged backup drives are at all time lows, and with Macrium (free version), there's little excuse not to backup. One indicator that backup rates are no better or may have dropped, are the ever growing list of various Topics that can be marked as solved with one of two items. A backup that was taken when the computer was healthy, and secondly, the recovery disk set for reinstall was never created, compounded by the fact that any Malware or OS corruption may have broken the 'hook' that the certain hotkey for Recovery needs. Which can get anyone out of a jam. 

The 'Am I Infected?' line gets longer by the month, not to include all of the other Topics that involves everything from OS corruption to HDD/SSD failure. Then once fixed, the person still hasn't learned their lesson & doesn't bother with backup, will eventually need assistance again & again. As a result, neither does their family members, including children old enough to use a computer, learn the importance, until disaster strikes once again. Prevention is far more effective than cure, and even assuming they've created recovery disc sets, there goes months or years of data (including memories such as pictures) down the drain. 

I practice what I preach, and all of my computers now gets at a minimum, a backup image every other week, plus one right before Patch Tuesday, already marked on the calendar for the entire year. Why before & not after? Because sometimes updates messes up the system, one reason why I only install critical security updates when released, and the rest a few days later. At least once yearly, Microsoft will deliver a bad update & has to pull it to fix, then reissue or replace with a working one. Still, with a backup drive & Macrium, all one needs to do before Patch Tuesday is create a backup folder bearing the name with month & year. Then boot into the WinPE environment & create a disk image, it's as simple as that. Restoration is just as simple. 

Even the SDHC card of my camera gets a backup regularly, will attach to the built in card reader and copy by drag & drop to one of my backup drives, and do the same to another SDHC card (a clone). 

We can lead a horse to water, yet we can't make it drink. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

Hey guys!  Would someone help me decide if I can use a drive out of my Acer Aspire3000 to put into my Toshiba Satellite L505D-LS5007 also in my Signature.  Was going to get a new drive but then I got to thinking, I don't use this Acer for much because it has such horrible hardware and no sound.  It is housing an XP Install along with a Linux LXLE, so it is not all that useful to me.  They appear to be compatible to me, although the Acer one is only tested on Vista, I wouldn't think this will be an issue?  I see now that it is even the same PDF's!  Also, the Acer is low mileage, so why not rob that baby for it's drive?  

Here is the Toshiba drive

Here is the Acer

Thanks pcpunk

Yes, I saw at the last minute that the PDF's were the same as seen above.  Just had to point that out lol, don't always catch these things.  

Thought I would follow up on this little endeavor.  This would have been an awesome solution for me as I have no income right now, but, seems as though one of the Drives are Proprietary (I suspect the Acer).  They both say made in 2009 and I scoured that PDF and found nothing that would say that they are different?  Chalk this one up to experience.

The Acer one is a Male type Connector (Pins), and the Toshiba is a Female type connector (Plug) and the Housings are different.  Not sure that Acer has one good piece of Hardware in it lol, just kidding.  It has provided me with some fun and testing, but it don't run anything well accept XP, Puppy Linux and 12.xx linux.

Thanks again! 

Edited by pcpunk, 10 May 2016 - 11:49 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:58 PM

Toshiba and Dell are the two most common proprietary hard drive interfaces I've run up against.  There are adapter or interface boards available but only from the mfgr and very expensive for what they are.  I gave up on a Dell and Toshiba took months to get the part.  Toshiba'a are also not interchangeable from model to model but the Dell just needs a front bezel swap from unit to unit.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:36 PM

@mjd420nova, thanks that is all quite interesting!  Yeah the Tosh was given to me so try not to complain to much lol.  I thought Dell was quite good that way?  Hmm, I still like HP the best...but still a bit of a noob.  I have an old HP but really need a new one.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 12:08 AM

The Acer one is a Male type Connector (Pins), and the Toshiba is a Female type connector (Plug) and the Housings are different.  Not sure that Acer has one good piece of Hardware in it lol, just kidding.  It has provided me with some fun and testing, but it don't run anything well accept XP, Puppy Linux and 12.xx linux.

pcpunk, are you positive that the HDD in your Acer isn't a IDE (PATA) one? 

Sounds to me to be the case by the way you're describing it, have a Toshiba myself with Windows 7 Pro installed.  Look, taken from your Speccy report (of the Acer). When you see 'ATA', that's the dead giveaway of being IDE or PATA. 

Storage

74GB Western Digital WDC WD800BEVE-00A0HT0 (ATA): 
36 °C

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136129

These aren't the same type of drives! :P

Looks like you'll be getting that SSD sooner than you thought.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 11 May 2016 - 12:52 AM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:46 AM

@mjd420nova, thanks that is all quite interesting!  Yeah the Tosh was given to me so try not to complain to much lol.  I thought Dell was quite good that way?  Hmm, I still like HP the best...but still a bit of a noob.  I have an old HP but really need a new one.

While the older HP computers were and many still are indeed good build quality, forget it with the newer builds (anything since 2011). Most are cheap feeling, flimsy notebooks with low specs & loaded to the gills with bloatware. Your old one is better in many respects compared to today's models. Run it until the wheels fall off, as long as you take care of it, it'll be OK. A low cost SSD like the Samsung 850 EVO that has RAPID included (if running Windows), will make a huge difference in overall performance. 

Cat

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:11 AM

Check the drives carefully - you may find that they appear to be different because one or both still has removable adaptor pieces or housings attached (laptop makers do some strange things)

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,231 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:15 AM

pcpunk, are you positive that the HDD in your Acer isn't a IDE (PATA) one? 

OMG! Yes, it appears my Dyslexia is much worse than I thought?  Or when searching Google, it brought me to that PDF, and I didn't double check it.

While the older HP computers were and many still are indeed good build quality, forget it with the newer builds (anything since 2011). Most are cheap feeling, flimsy notebooks with low specs & loaded to the gills with bloatware. Your old one is better in many respects compared to today's models.

Well this is good and bad lol.  Got me an old goody but still like the newer ones?  Well most aren't that great from what I see anyhow.  HP does make some upper class ones but they Cost! "Business Class" you know.

Check the drives carefully - you may find that they appear to be different because one or both still has removable adaptor pieces or housings attached (laptop makers do some strange things)

Got it rqt!  I did that.  cat1092 is correct, this was all my fault, somehow got it all wrong, but did learn a little.

Thanks for all the help, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users