Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Corrupted Win 7--Now What Do I Do?


  • Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dr Syn

Dr Syn

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:03 PM

I swear Microsoft is a terrorist organization.

After trying for months to upgrade from 7 to 10, I finally got it to work today.

Only it wouldn't shut down, just restart.  So, I got the first Win 10 update, and what happens, it won't reboot, either.

After screwing around with it for hours, I just decided to grit my teeth (been doing a lot of that today) and reinstall Win 7.  (I had the brains to keep the dvds.)

Well, now I can at least see something on the screen, but it makes no sense.

The system consists of an MSI motherboard and gpu, and I5 processor, 16 gigs of ram, an ssd for the system, three sata hard drives for data and backup.  Plus some USB drives to back them up.

Some how, this must have happened when win 10 installed, the system changed the c drive to one of my satas.  Now, I can't even see the ssd on explorer (it's there on device manager), win 7 has been installed on one of my satas, and I can't even find the usb drives.

(Please, someone tell me it's just a bad dream.)

I can always reinstall the operating system on the c drive, but first I have to get it to recognize it.

Could someone please advise?

 



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

  • Members
  • 1,709 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Midwest
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

> Unplug all the drives including any external drives (except for any optical drives installed in your case) leaving only your main drive connected that you want to install W7 on.

> Reset your BIOS back to factory default. Be sure to do this.

> Wipe your main drive and reformat, and install Windows 7 on it from your retail disk.

> **Now install all of your motherboard and chipset drivers that came on a CD with your MSI board. This is very important, without those drivers your board will never perform right. I assume that you have a home-build computer and have the mainboard drivers on a CD that came with the board. If not, and if you do not have external copies of those drivers, you will have to download them from the manufacturer's website.

> Make a backup image of your W7 installation on an external (or separate drive installed in the case). If you have further problems you always have a safety net. If you do not have a favorite software for making the image, I suggest Macrium Reflect free edition, just search it.

> Now...one-by-one with a reboot between connections...plug in your additional drives, starting with the internal drives first. Remember to reboot between connections, 1-by-1.

 

Ok, now you are back to normal and sanity.

If you want to "upgrade" (and I use the term loosely since I am not a W10 fan), unplug all drives again leaving only your C:\\ drive connected, and attempt the upgrade again. If anything bad happens, it is a simple matter to re-image W7 back onto your C:\\ drive and you are back up and running in a few minutes. Since you have already attempted the upgrade, I am not sure if M/Soft will stick out its lower lip and not let you. You may have to call and explain so they will let you upgrade again. The first time I did this the upgrade totally corrupted my Windows 7 OS as well as corrupted the active partition, so I had to wipe everything, install Windows 7 again and call Mt. Redmond where the gods live and humbly beg to be allowed to repeat the upgrade. They took pity on me and allowed it and the 2nd time it took.

 

[EDIT]:  spelling typo correction


Edited by ranchhand_, 08 May 2016 - 09:03 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.


#3 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:34 PM

Thanks.  Will try this.  One question--should I first change the drive letter of the ssd to c?  Currently, it's k.  (I don't even know how the hell it did that!)



#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

  • Members
  • 1,709 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Midwest
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

Not necessary; by default Windows when installed will assign whatever drive it is installed to as C:\\. That is why I usually have only one drive actively plugged in when installing Windows. It has no other option but to assign that drive as C://.  Later, if you have other operating system drives plugged in, they may be assigned various letters (I currently have 3 OSs in my box on separate drives, but W7 is still C,  XP Pro is D, and W10 Pro is E).

Just for the record, it is possible to change drive letters in Disk Management, but the reason I recommended this long route is that you have a crashed attempt at an upgrade to a different OS (eg W7-->W10) and who only knows what other corrupted/damaged files there may be. This way you start fresh. If you still have problems after this we can start looking for other causes, but let's hope this takes care of your problems and you can get back to life again. :0)


Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.


#5 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:39 AM

One curious thing:  it has failed to recognize several of my internal SATA drives.  I had to reformat them before it would.  Although it did recognize a couple of others.  (I have the data backed up.)  Ever encountered this?



#6 hamluis

hamluis

    Moderator


  • Moderator
  • 56,272 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Killeen, TX
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:41 AM

FWIW:  Just a minor clarification...drive letters assigned by Windows don't really have anything to do with booting.  Windows will automatically designate which install is booted into as C:, and will change the drive letters reflected for all other installs...because there can only be one C: operative at the same time.

 

Example:  I dual-boot XP and Win 7.  When I boot into XP, it becomes C: and Win 7 becomes D:, while the reverse is true when I boot into Win 7 (it then becomes C:, while my XP install becomes D:.

 

Louis



#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

  • Members
  • 1,709 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Midwest
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

 

it has failed to recognize several of my internal SATA drives.  I had to reformat them before it would...Ever encountered this?

At this point, with all the previous problem history you have experienced, I have no idea what the reason would be.  Another reason to go back to square one, straighten everything out and take it from there. Yes, I have on occasion experienced W7 not recognizing some drives but I eventually found the reason, from faulty cables to drives in the process of failing. My main drive is a Crucial 500gig SSD, and all my others are HDD and I run them all with no problems. I also have AHCI enabled in the BIOS, and all my drives fun just fine.

 

@Hamluis;  yes, I am aware of what you say. Bear in mind that Dual-Booting with a single HDD configured with two active partitions each running an OS is different from running separate dedicated drives each with its own OS. And yes, when I press F11 on boot and am given the option of which drive to boot into, the letters may change. But when I boot with the default drive running W7, all returns to normal again. Thanks for the input.


Edited by ranchhand_, 08 May 2016 - 11:20 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.


#8 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:10 PM

Ok, I finally got it installed on the ssd.

However, I'm now having curious problems.  I finally (after utilizing several Microsoft tools) got it to download .Net work 4.

It's failing to download updates, however.  I had this problem before, and I don't remember how I solved it.

However, ponder this:  while the system was mistakenly installed on the sata drive, there were no problems downloading updates.  It immediately went to the site and downloaded 218 of them!

The implication here is obvious--there is something about the ssd install that causes the update function to go kerflatz.  (Kerflatz is a technical term describing anything that fails to work properly.)  That seems preposterous, but it's where the evidence leads.

So, what I propose to do is test this hypothesis.  Someone tell me if I'm going about it the right way.

Physically disable the ssd and all but one of the hard drives.  Install to that hard drive. Change the boot order in the bios and boot from it.

If this solves the problem, it would seem the snafu is in the ssd.

If not, it verifies that it isn't.



#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

  • Members
  • 1,709 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Midwest
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

Can you download normally from various websites?  And...did you install the motherboard drivers for your motherboard?


Edited by ranchhand_, 09 May 2016 - 04:01 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.


#10 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

Yes to both.



#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

  • Members
  • 1,709 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Midwest
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:03 PM

At this point, I can only suggest to use the Microsoft tool provided and hope that it works. If no joy, I suggest a call to Microsoft.

Link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

 

Microsoft help: 800 426 9400

 

If none of the above helps, go for the upgrade to Windows 10 and see what happens. If the upgrade is successful, it probably will take care of any problems you have. Don't forget to disconnect all other internal and external hard drives and flash drives, leaving only your main drive to be upgraded.

I can't see how an SSD vs an HDD will make any difference; there is no reason that the SSD would single out the Microsoft website to glitch on and ignore all others. The problem is with some configuration in the W7 OS.

Please let us know what happens.

 

Unless you want to go through the reformat and installation again, I suggest you make an image of your OS as I suggested earlier. In fact, it's an excellent habit to make two images a month as standard practice.


Edited by ranchhand_, 09 May 2016 - 07:05 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.


#12 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:41 PM

Ok, using two update tools, I finally got it to update.  241 updates to be precise.

Could I impose upon those of you following this for a bit more advice?

Only one update failed to install, KB2861208, which is a security update for .Net framework 4.5.  When I installed 4.5, I think it went wrong; there was an error, but it seemed to work.  I think this update won't install because 4.5 is corrupted.  Should I uninstall it and try a reinstall?

Also, if I finally get win 7 updates up to date, should I attempt win 10 upgrade again?  I think what went wrong before was that I didn't have all the win 7 updates installed, yet the win10 upgrade went ahead and was corrupted.  I have no particular love for 10 (it's less annoying than 8, but as far as I'm concerned, they could have quit with 7 or even xp) but I do have it on my two other machines, and there is no longer any support for 7.

Thanks.



#13 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Mod Edit:  Original quoted post removed, spam - Hamluis.

Your situation is pretty messed up. I've never seen anyone who use 4 storage devices. We (me and my brother) used to have a computer with 3 hard disk. But your situation is very complicated. I can explain why you couldn't shut down in windows 10. It's the windows updates, unless the windows finishes the updates they don't let you to shut down your computer. Good luck with your terrorist organization (although I love it). 

 

 

 

The only reason I didn't lose any data in this catastrophe is that I had multiple hard drives, plus USB backups.  Otherwise, I be dead in the water.


Edited by hamluis, 26 December 2016 - 03:45 PM.


#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

  • Members
  • 1,709 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Midwest
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:30 PM

 

Should I uninstall it and try a reinstall?

Yes, that would be the best way to go. You can download .net 4.5 as a separate file and install it. First uninstall the .net that you have now.

Link:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

 

BTW....4 HDDs installed in a box is not excessive. I used to run 4 plus an external docking station with a 1TB IDE drive for backups with no problems. If you add an occasional flash drive, you have 6 in total. I currently am running 3 in the case, but will soon add another for mint Linux which I am going to install.


Edited by ranchhand_, 11 May 2016 - 10:34 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.


#15 Dr Syn

Dr Syn
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 12 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

The situation seems to have resolved itself.  Since I got the update function fixed, it won't stop downloading them.  One of them installed 4.6, so the previous versions are gone.

I'm still pondering whether or not to try upgrading to 10.  The prospect makes my hair stand on end, but at least Microsoft still supports 10.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users