Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Activation problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bradski

bradski

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

I started with a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit PC. Purchased from Maxxx computers 12-Mar-2015:

Processor: AMD FX6300 3.5GHz 6 Core Processor

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard
Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3-1600 Ram
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650Ti
Hard Drive:  1TB WD Blue HDD
Power Supply: Diablotek 500 Watt Power Supply
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 Anniversary edition.

There have been No hardware changes during this whole evolution. As soon as it became available, I took the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro x64 build 10240. It installed and activated fine and I used it until the version 1511 build 10586.218 updated from Windows update. That went fine as well and the PC still indicated that it was activated

Then I had some problems on my network with shared folder access from a Linux laptop on my network which could no longer mount windows smb shares. While trying to fix that problem, I messed up file protections on the Windows 10 version 1511 build 10586.218 PC.

I decided to nuke the hard drive and clean install windows 10 version 1511 OS build 10586.218 from a dvd I created with the media creation tool. It installed fine and things seem to all be working well except 1- it is no longer activated. and 2- I also noticed it is Windows 10 "Home Single Language" now.

I tried using my windows 7 key to activate it and got error code 0x80041024. I called the activation support line and they asked for my Windows 7 ID code which I gave them and they told me it was "Blocked" ... whatever that means, and to contact the PC manufacturer! This is the same PC (no hardware changes) that the windows 10 update and the  version 1511 updates both activated fine on! I would like to have my Pro version back and be able to activate it. Please help. Maxxx computers does not return my phone calls. :(

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

you should just have to, install windows 7 on PC fresh install, upgrade to windows 10, make sure it is digitally entitled (settings>updates>activation) use media creation tool for other pc, boot from usb/dvd perform clean install of windows 10 and since its digitally entitled it will auto activate

the windows 7 key will only work on windows 7 itself that is why I think they are saying it is blocked so this windows 7 clean install then upgrade should enable digital entitlement for future clean installs of windows 10

#3 bradski

bradski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:58 PM

If I restore my original Windows 7 Pro, can I upgrade from the Windows 10 version 1511 build 10586.218 dvd I created with the media creation tool, or will I have to do it via the internet?

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:32 AM

I suspect that when running the media creation tool, you did not select "Windows 10 Pro" as the Edition, and instead created media for Windows 10 home.

When you upgraded your Windows 7, a digital entitlement for Windows 10 PRO was created (on Microsoft's activation servers), and only that will activate.

You will need to rerun the Media cration tool, download the correct version.

If you are preared to nuke your pc again, the cleanest solution would be to do another clean install using the correct version. If you don't want to nuke your rebuilt PC, you could try an 'over the top install' with the Pro media.

x64

#5 bradski

bradski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:01 AM

Ok, I tried to download the tool from my non activated windows 10 currently installed and the pull down window does not have the Windows 10 Pro as an option. Only Windows 10, Windows 10 Single Language and one other. Is it possible that I need to reinstall Windows 7 Pro for that download selection to be available? This is crazy ... Ubuntu is looking better every day!

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:52 AM

Build 10586 downloaded ISO from the Media Creation Tool comes as a joint home/pro disk (for either 32 or 64 bit depending on which you selected) & offers you the choice of whether to install home or pro after you have started the install. As above, if you install the wrong one (easily done) the existing digital entitlement will not activate it & does not give you any clue as to why.

Edited by rqt, 08 May 2016 - 03:01 AM.

#7 bradski

bradski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

SOLVED! I found an old usb flash drive that had a bootable repair disk of the activated Windows 10 Pro build 10240 on it. I restored that and it came up activated! :) Then I updated to the 1511 build 10586.218 via the internet. Still activated! My system has been fairly easy to restore since that point and is running like normal.

Thanks for the help!

Bradski

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users