Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drives and files seemingly deleted.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ponderer

Ponderer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:05 PM

Greetings everyone, I'm afraid this first post might be annoyingly vague as I begin. This is only because I am unsure where to start getting the information necessary for others to assist me.

I am running windows 10 version 1511.

Earlier in the day, I returned to my computer which was on, I leave it on most of the time. When trying to open a media file in vlc media player, I got a 'bad file descriptor' error. I thought that was odd but I hadn't even had my coffee yet, I was just thinking about relaxing for a bit so I ran a steam application (Neo Scavenger) only to have neo scavenger itself fail at 9%, saying that files were missing. That was more off. So I tried to open one of my drives, my J drive (named storage) and it appeared empty. Searching through my file history could reveal search results and files, but trying to access them proved impossible. I'm an avid computer user, but this has me stumped. I asked around, and people recommended running and installing malwarebytes (I have it, the version is pro), avast, combofix, frst, emsisoft, and I thought after seeing the list of suggestions it may be best to post here while I can.

I'm afraid to shut down for fear of losing all of my windows, but I don't want to just throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks. I'd rather it be done slowly and methodically, with confidence I'm doing it correctly than trying to fix it 'now now now!'. However, I thought of this after downloading FRST, and running emsisoft's emergency kit. The first run revealed 3 detections that were not high risk. It's in the middle of a deep scan (searching specifically for rootkits) now.

If anyone can help me, what would be the best ways that I could help you understand what may be wrong with the system? I can lose the drives I lost, nothing is vital, but it would be a great relief to be able to recover what was lost.

The only potentially pertinent information I can think of besides is that the computer seemed to reboot itself yesterday (which i assumed to be a windows 10 update since I was in full screen), and when it rebooted, my icons were moved to the right hand side of the screen. Nothing else seemed out of the ordinary at that time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,176 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:42 PM

Hi if you have the FRST LOG repost this with that.. here
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Ponderer

Ponderer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:47 PM

Hey there! Someone 'helped' and ran zoek for me while I was away from this system. After it rebooted, things seem to be back to normal. Because of that, I suppose I won't bother people trying to figure out if anything is still residual on the system, but I will certainly do that if new problems arise. I thank you for your prompt response by the way!

I'm not ungrateful for their trying to help, but I was willing and wanting to do this slowly and cautiously, just in case. Either way, thank you again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users