Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost all downloaded files

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:46 PM

Greetings, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this topic. Trying to help a friend who is having problems with win 10 lol. Anyway he went into the download folder and everything is gone. Did several system restores, tried reccuva,(both under safe boot with networking) nothing no files.(the folder is there it's just empty) Also,went under users(name) empty folder. Someone advised tweaking.com windows repair but not sure how to do this. Any help is appreciated thnx.( Also did sfc /scannow it showed no problems.) :smash:

Edited by bobbymcgee, 07 May 2016 - 01:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

Does your friend remember the names of any of the files \ apps \ programs he has actually downloaded that you can't find?  If that is the case, things are obviously going to another destination.  Have you performed a Search in C:\ drive for the name of one of the programs? 

It would also help to know which browser is being used?  Perhaps a setting has been changed in the browser to "always download to a folder other than Downloaded Files."

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

Greetings, I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this topic. Trying to help a friend who is having problems with win 10 lol. Anyway he went into the download folder and everything is gone. Did several system restores, tried reccuva,(both under safe boot with networking) nothing no files.(the folder is there it's just empty) Also,went under users(name) empty folder. Someone advised tweaking.com windows repair but not sure how to do this. Any help is appreciated thnx.( Also did sfc /scannow it showed no problems.) :smash:

With all do respect, did you actually read what I typed? All things were checked and rechecked users,app data etc. etc. etc.He doesn't remember deleting anything especiially things that were downloaded(in case they're needed again) :scratchhead:

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

With all do respect, did you actually read what I typed? All things were checked and rechecked users,app data etc. etc. etc.He doesn't remember deleting anything especiially things that were downloaded(in case they're needed again) :scratchhead:

Yes, I did actually read what you typed.  Did you actually read what I replied?  No where in my response did I suggest your friend had deleted anything.  I suggested a couple of things...that's it.  No biggie.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

I suggest that your friend open up This PC, then up on top scroll to DOWNLOADS then right click on DOWNLOADS then scroll down to properties then click on location and find out where in the system his downloads are SUPPOSE to go. This is just a first step.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:41 PM

Greetings, been there done that the only thing there (user name>downloads) is an empty folder.

#7 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:22 AM

You could try Recuva or some other app to recover deleted data, but I would investigate first to find out the reason those files were automagically deleted.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:31 AM

Greetings, been there done that the only thing there (user name>downloads) is an empty folder.

Read post #5 above and try that and see what it says.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

Also you never indicated that you tried the advice from post #2 which contains good advice.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 bobbymcgee

bobbymcgee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:52 AM

With regards to post #2 browser used is IE11 tried to recall all downloads 1 by 1 didn't find them anywhere else.

#11 themantis

themantis

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Did you try, c:\Users\....\Downloads? or see if the files might accidentally hidden.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

With regards to post #2 browser used is IE11 tried to recall all downloads 1 by 1 didn't find them anywhere else.

Maybe you misread post #2. You do not use a web browser to search for the files you use Windows File Explorer.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Daydreamed

Daydreamed

• Members
  • 349 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

If the computer was upgraded or reset, you can look in windows.old. Have you looked in the documents folder as well?

- Daydreamed

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

A over-assertively set anti-viri/anti-malware combine can toss lots of downloads ending in EXE into quarantine -- that happened to me awhile back until I dialed back the security level.  Check quarantine buckets and settings - rule out that possibility. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#15 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

Have you tried searching the system for any specific files? You can change the default download path and have them going somewhere other than under a user profile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users