Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New build - will only boot/POST if RAM is in slot 4

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scblair

scblair

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:44 PM

So I'm building a new PC for my father in law:

- MSI 970A-G46 mobo

- 2x4Gb Team DDR3 1333 RAM

- AMD Athlon II x2 240 CPU (from older build, will probably upgrade later)

When first putting it all together with RAM in slots 2&4 as suggested in the manual, nothing happens. Black screen. So I pulled them both and tried 1 stick in slot 2 and nothing happened. Tried same one in slot 4 and it booted up fine. Tried the other one in slot 4 and again booted fine. Tried one more time with both in 2&4 and nothing.

I haven't tried to update the BIOS yet but did reset the CMOS with no effect. Something else I'm missing? Should I RMA the mobo as it seems to be the issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:04 PM

Nice job of diagnosing.  Pretty clear there is no issue with the RAM.  Slot 2 has to be bad.  It happens.

If you want while waiting through the RMA process and it is the weekend set up with 4GB and get the rest of the system set up and running.  Plus the vendor may want you to try things before approving an RMA.  Then you can plop the CPU and RAM back onto the new board and go when it arrives.  You can also see if slots 1 and 3 work (but return the board---don't settle).  PS: Don't forget to remove the CPU and RAM before you send the board back, lol, like that never happens.

I'd call the vendor and start the RMA procedure.  Ask for a self addressed, pre-paid shipping label so it doesn't cost you. Be sure to enclose the MB in its anti-static bag and you must carefully  put the plastic piece back in the zero force insertion hinge.   Be sure to gather up everything that came in the box and make it look nice and neat.  Jot down the serial number for the board so you won't suspect them of sending you your old board back or make a discrete mark somewhere on the board.  Ask then for their RMA procedures.  If it is past the vendor return date then contact MSI for their RMA procedure.

Have your issue and what you did ready.

I write the RMA number on the outside and on a note on the inside of the box along with contact info and brief description of issue for their testing people.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 07 May 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:17 PM

As part of the RMA process...I would first insert all four modules into slots and then run Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso , using Memtest86+ Guide-How To's - Overclockers Forums - http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=409152 .

I consider it necessary to have some sort of proof that the slot is not working properly...before I contact anyone about RMAing.

Louis

#4 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:57 PM

As part of the RMA process......to have some sort of proof that the slot is not working properly...before I contact anyone about RMAing.

Neither stick works in slot 2, both sticks work in slot 4.  That is clear cut proof.  memetest86 or 86+ won't see what the system doesn't see.  But successfully running memtest (either version, on each stick separately in slot 4) for a single pass would bolster the argument that the RAM is not faulty when it comes time to talk with the vendor or MSI.  Running it in slots 1 or 3 makes no difference.  The fact working RAM is demonstrably not working in slot 2 is compelling, clear and unacceptable. 

#5 scblair

scblair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

Just an update for your interest and for anyone else that is having this problem.

Solution was NOT the motherboard, NEITHER the RAM.

I RMA'd the motherboard and got a completely different manufacturer. When I put the RAM in I had the same exact problem. Each stick ran individually but not in dual-channel mode.

I tried manually setting the timings in the BIOS as well as adjusting voltage with no effect. I was just about to RMA the RAM as I thought maybe they weren't quite synced properly or weren't approved by Gigabyte.

Finally after exhausting other options I took out the CPU and checked the pins thoroughly. Turns out a single pin was bent. I was able to straighten it with a paperclip and that solved the problem after a couple attempts. All 8GB are recognized now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,551 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for providing us with an accurate diagnosis...glad you were able to solve it.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users