Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mint 17.3 cinnamon buit in backup tool

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:16 PM

Has anyone evr got that thing to actually work?  So far I can not get it to work at all.  Am I supposed to use something else instead.

If so why do they even have it pre-installed?

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:32 PM

If you are referring to the one shown below, I have never used it.  I back up my Linux partition with Clonezilla instead.  However, I suppose the Backup Tool does what it's suppose to do, i.e. backup your files and installed applications and restore them.  What exactly can't you get to work?  Were you successful in making a backup?  Did you fail to restore a backup you made previously?

1462641815.png

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:45 PM

No sir have never got it to work at all,I have yet to make a successful backup yet.  I have clicked on each of the options listed to see what they offered and could do.

So far I see no way to back up to external media at all.  Seems to want to back up to the computer only.  Not much documentation or help files.

Still investigating at this time.

Thanks

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:18 PM

IMHO, you may want to find another backup solution.  As I said, I don't use this app.  However, I did a little digging around and it seems like it's not too popular.  For example, see this... https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=48093&p=278733

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:40 PM

Agouti I have to agree.  Yea I found that link also. You guys really try to help a newbe, those guys seem to think newbes should not even be useing their vaunted system unless they really know what they are doing. {Go away boy why are you bothering us]

Not real great PR in MHO.

#6 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:47 AM

In what way can't you get Backup to work.

Now it's not a tool I'd use myself, because there are much better options available, but it works well enough within its own limitations. I've just backed up my software selection using it, and it worked quickly and successfully created a backup on the external drive I stipulated.

When you tried to make your backup to an external drive, were you booted into an installed copy of Linux, or were you booting from a live USB or VM ?

Personally I use Timeshift and Aptik for "quick" backups of my system, and back my personal files up manually, since this gives me maximum control over my restore options.

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:28 AM

Gary I am trying from Cinnamon which is installed on my laptop/notebook . I have tried useing each of the first page 4 options and can get none of them to work. Agouti has the screenshot for them.

The screen shot will show the only options where to copy from and too. There is no option for an external drive even tho you can clearly see on the main screen my dvd drive.  It however is not in the list of from or to.

Please to note the option screen is the same on where to backup from or where to back up to. No other options available and it will not backup to any of them for me.

http://i.imgur.com/e6r8irc.png

Thank you.

Edited by dannyboy950, 08 May 2016 - 02:33 AM.

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:50 AM

I use Timeshift and Aptik for "quick" backups of my system,

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:52 AM

Yes thanks to the wizard and his tutorial most of us know about timeshift and Aptik some of us however can not even get it to complete download nevermind install.

We just do not have enough computer and internet speed.

#10 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

There is no option for an external drive even tho you can clearly see on the main screen my dvd drive.  It however is not in the list of from or to.

Please to note the option screen is the same on where to backup from or where to back up to. No other options available and it will not backup to any of them for me.

http://i.imgur.com/e6r8irc.png

I see your external drive is a CD/DVD drive, which may be the reason that it doesn't appear as a writable option for Backup since files have to be burnt to a CD/DVD.

I used a USB to write my backup to.

Try plugging in a USB drive, and then see if there is an option to write a backup to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users