Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ubuntu partition problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lacey16

lacey16

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:14 AM

I had just finished editing my sources list with the instructions given to me by Hollowface.  I closed gedit and opened the terminal to update as instructed.  Just as I began imputing the text the PC crashed.  reboot produced a screen but no launcher or menus. Cut a very long story short i tried recovery mode  and edit to get terminal etc etc Nothing worked so I decided to install 14.04lts.   I selected the option to erase 16.04 and install in that partition.

The installation went ok but when I tried to boot up it stuck at an "intrams" screen. Then I tried to use the live disk but that also stuck just after the location and basic screens.  Just an aqua coloured screen but I did manage to get a terminal.  fdisk-l  hard disk errors or it may have been another command. Sorry I cant remember. At this point I thought the SSD had died so I tried to use Gparted . It showed the SSD drive as unallocated space, so I decided to use the live disk and click install.  This is the result. I tried to format the SSD but when I checked it appeared to be including the sata drive with windows on it.    I then tried to partition as I normally would thinking that at some point I would receive an error about lack of space because the ssd is only 120GB  I guess it could still be a problem with the SSD sorry no access to copy or take screenshot or print screen.

Help please to erase eveything off the SSd and install 14.04 lts   Just not 100% sure of how to do this without losing windows. Thanks

/dev/sda nothing totally blank

/dev/sda1 207GB ntfs windows 7 loader sata hdd

/dev/sda2 ext 4 / 85GB ssd drive|

freespace 27GB

/dev/sdb totally blank

/dev/sdb1 ext 4 538 mb

/dev/sdb5 swap 5.5GB

/dev/sdb7 ext 4 77GB Trusty Tahr (development branch) 14.04

/dev/sdb8 home 3GB

/dev/sdb6 ext 4 34GB

#2 icon_share.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:51 PM

If your Windows 7 still works I would start by downloading and creating the actual Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS Install Media, and check the Hash.  As I understand it, that is not the LTS that I see there in your Partitions Info.

http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.04/

Edited by pcpunk, 07 May 2016 - 09:43 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 5,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

Do you have a full backup of windows 7, to an external HD...??

If not....get one....now.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 02:07 AM

Do you have a full backup of windows 7

Good idea. Then we can continue

Edited by NickAu, 08 May 2016 - 02:08 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 lacey16

lacey16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:34 AM

yes had everything backed up. After taking the time to study it a bit I understood what had happened. Sorted now thanks

Just one weird thing. I used exactly the same disk to install  Ubuntu 14.04LTS on my windows 10 PC  Downloaded the iso and verified it and have been running it for a few weeks now.  

PC win.10 & 14.04 lts

lsb_release -a

Distributor ID: Ubuntu

Description: Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS

Release: 14.04

Codename: trusty  

Using the same DVD disk I installed 14.04lts on my windows 7 pc.   I dont know why it appears to have loaded differently on this  PC

/dev/sdb7 ext 4 77GB Trusty Tahr (development branch) 14.04

I would not have chosen a "development" issue. I struggle enough with basic linux 

Thanks again

Anyway problems occurred resulting from a disk error so did a check disk in windows which repaired the error, wiped the disk and installed 16.04LTS

Edited by lacey16, 18 May 2016 - 04:37 AM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:56 AM

Anyway problems occurred resulting from a disk error so did a check disk in windows which repaired the error, wiped the disk and installed 16.04LTS

Ok problem solved.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users