Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

~Scripts for loading drivers~

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JazzyCheeto

JazzyCheeto

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:43 AM

I'm looking for an easy way to deploy local print drivers across the network using a login script.

If I remote into someone's PC can this be done on a local workstation or must I be on the server for any script to work properly?

I am needing some advice on the most effective way to do this.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 07:52 PM

Do you have a domain environment?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 JazzyCheeto

JazzyCheeto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

Not always. Sometimes it's just a workgroup on a simple router scheme and other clients may have a domain server.

I'm just looking for ways to push out drivers in varied environments quicker than loading individually on each PC.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

In domain environment you can use Group Policy. In a WorkGroup environment you will still need to logon to the computer locally to setup the startup script. The script for workgroup computers will be in the form of Net Use \\computername\printer. There are other options such as PsExec however you would still need access to the computer to enable PowerShell remoting. Lastly if the computer sharing the printer does not have the drivers required by the computer connecting to the printer you will have problems. Specifically 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows. 

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 JazzyCheeto

JazzyCheeto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

Pushing out drivers from a server isn't bad it's more of the local workstation environments that are time consuming, laying hands on each PC. Peer to peer networks I'm referring to. The countless hours I've spent loading local drivers over the years is enough time to wait in a BMV line! (x500) With the technology that is out there today there must be a way, right?

~Example~

New printer on network set via static IP address. Host name let's say is NEWPRINTER.

12 workstations - all Windows OS with unique log in credentials.

No server.

All users need drivers loaded on their PC's for advanced printing features using manufacturer's model specific software drivers. (No "generic" or universal drivers in this case)

The only way I can think to do this is find one PC on the network that could act as the "server" but that PC must remain on in order for others to print. Share the driver from that one PC and then run a script right?

Or, is there other ways where you don't need to worry about all that?

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

Tasks like that without a Domain or some Deployment software are a Pain in the rear

With the computers properly setup tools like psexec can help but its challenging because some times you need to do run stuff as Administrator, as the user or as SYSTEM!

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users