Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

system crash with Graphics card failure ,, maybe ??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 firsttaff

firsttaff

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:19 AM

Hello 

I had left the pc on for a few hours , and when I returned the screed was blue (no wording just blue?? ) so I rebooted got a windows failed  to load ,screen aske dme to ty to repair , this I did , the repair started and then it got a blue screen of death with a error which i regret i did not note down , so after several reboots with the results and the same error i eventually ended up with "no signal" on my monitor , I tried the monitor with another pc   , monitor fine as are the cables , I then tried a different (working ) video card in the pc  still no joy . I tried the video card from the failed pc in a working pc , no joy that way either , I am now stumped ??

my spec as follows , the pc was built by myself in 2011 , I have had no hardware problems before 

windows 7 ultimate 64

Asus P8 P67 Pro rev 3.1  mother board

MSI N580 GTX Twin frozer 11  Graphics card  
 Intel Core i7 2600K processor 
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit ram 
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX
500GB SEAGATE 72RPM 32MB SATA-

I hope that you can give me some idea of what to try  next ?
thanking you in advance 
Bryan 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:39 AM

Try three quick tests and post back with results:

>  Try to boot into Safe Mode. If you can, try to open and close several files/programs. Does the computer run normally?

>  Try to boot into the BIOS screen. Can you move around normally in it?

>  When you boot from cold start, do you hear the keyboard recognition beep (assuming your computer normally does that)? Once power is on, and if you have a laser, wired mouse (not a wireless mouse), is    the laser light lit (on the bottom of the mouse)?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 firsttaff

firsttaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

Hello 
thank you for your kind reply , Perhaps I did not explain clearly , I have no screen / display on the monitor  , what I did was check that the monitor was not faulty , so  I am not able to boot into anything ?however I do have a "post state led on the vga  continually lit which according to the motherboard manual  suggests there is the problem , however as I say above I tried a working card i the slot and  there was no change which threw me ? I have tried the mouse suggestion above  and I get no light when i power up the pc and no  keyboard beep either 

regards
Bryan 

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

tried the mouse suggestion above  and I get no light when i power up the pc and no  keyboard beep either

Ok, so that tells us that there is no signal getting from the power supply to the mouse or keyboard or monitor. It's looking like there is no signal reaching the video slot. Since there is no beep, the power-on signal from the power supply is not reaching the BIOS, so the CPU cannot start the boot process. I assume that you tried to boot into Safe Mode, and you still had no video, beeps or response from the computer. This is a low-level hardware failure.

> Question: are you 100% sure that the video card that you substituted is compatible with your motherboard?  I'm sorry for asking an obvious question, but I want to make very sure that your problem is not just a failed video card.

> When you press the power switch, do the case fans and the CPU heatsink fan all spin up, or are they dead. If there is a power lamp on the mainboard, does it light up?

> One last test; I do not think that bad memory is your problem, but let's cover all the bases just in case. Do the following:

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

>  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device. (if you cannot access your BIOS, then you won't be able to do this).

Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

If you have multiple sticks, test only one (1) stick at a time and use the #1 slot on the motherboard. Do not test multiple sticks at the same time.

If Memtest will not run or you get error messages, let me know.

If you have any questions on how to do the above, post back.

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 May 2016 - 04:18 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:38 PM

So we have a failure to output video but the PC apparently boots up...you just can't see it?

You proved the monitor and cable are working.

You tried a known working video card and it failed.

You tried the video card from the failed unit in a working PC and it failed.

On first guess, something (PSU?) took out the video card and MB/CPU?

But things to try:

In the working PC, do a CMOS reset (you lose your settings however).  See if the questionable card now works.  If not, I suspect it is bad (and no longer under warranty). 

In the failed PC, and no video card, fire it up with onboard video. If it fails, hit the CMOS reset.  Still fails, I'd strip it down to PSU, MB/CPU/HSF, no RAM, no drives, no mouse and only the keyboard.  Does it POST (it should complain about the lack of RAM but still POST)?  If it fails, hit the CMOS reset. Still nothing?  Some part or parts present are bad.  You can swap in a new PSU.  MB and CPU may not be worth testing unless the other system is compatible or replacing separately.

What to do further depends upon your results from the above and where you want to go from there.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 07 May 2016 - 04:44 PM.

#6 firsttaff

firsttaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

Thank you both for your reply's 
I will try to answer both your questions as best i can 
I cannot boot into safe mode as I have no picture , yes the fans all work and the power on light is on the mother board , all other warning lights are out apart from the RED L.E.D. by the VGA  slot which according to the manual remains lit to show a error 

I am not sure as to the other video cards compatibility as it is from a AMD Athlon pc , however according to the  search I did  that should make no difference , however it has the same result , no picture . I have not tried the suspect video card in the other  working pc as I am unsure as to how to reset the cmos as asked ??

"Ranchhand_" , i am unable to do the memory test as I have no way of changing the boot device with no screen 

once again thank you for your kind help 
regards
Bryan 

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

I cannot boot into safe mode as I have no picture

Sorry, my bad in not being clear. I simply wanted to test if attempting to boot into safe mode suddenly allowed your monitor to show picture (if it did that would tell us that some program in normal mode is crashing and preventing boot but evidently that is not the case).  You still do not get the keyboard recognition beep, and the unit is still unresponsive.

I am not sure as to the other video cards compatibility as it is from a AMD Athlon pc

Video cards work regardless of an Intel, AMD or even Linux platform, so that is not a problem.

"Ranchhand_" , i am unable to do the memory test as I have no way of changing the boot device with no screen

Ok, no problem.  I mentioned this in the second bullet point in my previous post: 
">  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device. (if you cannot access your BIOS, then you won't be able to do this)."

I am unsure as to how to reset the cmos as asked

It's easy.  Power down and unplug the cord from the rear of the computer. Open the side panel. The BIOS/CMOS has a small, silver battery about the size of a nickle mounted flat on the mainboard. It's easy to spot, and in fact your manual that came with the computer probably tells you how to find it. There is a tiny tension spring that holds it in, just press on it and it will pop out. After you remove it, press the power switch to discharge the capacitors on the mainboard.

There also will be a small jumper that you move from one side to the other and then back again. Your manual will show you where it is (or at least it should). That also sets the BIOS back to default. If you simply cannot find it, don't worry, just follow the above directions and let the computer sit for 5 minutes, then reinstall the battery (note: make sure you don't reverse the polarity or your computer will do really weird things, put it back in with the same orientation as when you took it out) plug in the power cord and try to boot.

Let me know what happens.

#8 firsttaff

firsttaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

Hi Ranchand_ 
sorry for the delay in replying .
I did as you instructed above ,i.e , remove battery  and the jumper as per my manual , regrettably  I still have no monitor picture , look like it's the video card , as the warning light is still on , trouble is it's on when I put another working card in and this motherboard has no on-board video .
I am gratefull for any further suggestions ?

regards

Bryan 

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

At this point everything I see points to a motherboard failure.

If you can borrow a different vid card, you can try that. The fact that your original card did not work in a different computer presents the possibility that the one you substituted will not work in your mobo. This is a remote possibility, but worth a try. Another possibility is to find another, different computer and try again, just to make sure.  I hesitate to tell you to purchase another video card because that may not be the problem. The fact that the mobo video card trouble lamp stays lit whether a card is inserted or not may indicate that the slot itself failed, which brings us back to a motherboard failure. Perhaps your manual can shed some light on that possibility.

If you have a wired, optical laser mouse, does the light come on when you power up or does it stay dark?

Reasons for my opinion:

> There is no keyboard recognition beep from the system beeper on power-up;

> (I assume) that the laser light on your wired laser mouse stays dark, please correct me if I am wrong.

>  Swapping video cards did not help.

> You reset the BIOS/CMOS, tried both video cards again and the computer still did not boot.

> When you boot with either vid card, or no vid card, you do not hear the normal booting sounds or Windows login sound (eg. Windows boots, you just have no video to see it).

There are only two other things that can cause this failure: bad power supply or a blown CPU. At this point, you have no way of testing the power supply (you might consider purchasing a tester, Newegg has them quite cheap), and there is no way to test a CPU. However, in all my years of this, I have seen only two CPUs that blew out. They rarely fail, but motherboards fail constantly (unfortunately).

Please post back if you have any additional questions.

Edited by ranchhand_, 10 May 2016 - 12:27 PM.

#10 firsttaff

firsttaff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 03:35 PM

Hi
OK i have orderd a tester to see if anything is out of place wit the powersupply , however it will take a few days to get here (next monday ) so i will report back on what I find 
thanks again for your help 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users