Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo H50 desktop PSU

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mak104

mak104

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:03 PM

I am trying to upgrade (marginally) a Lenovo H50 by changing the video card. Not for gaming on this mini rig, just trying to get a better video watching system. I know that you need to change the power supply first. I bought a new 400w and a 14 pin converter but when I start the computer, the fan spins for a half second and it stops. I bought a different 14 pin converter and tried a different known good power supply and the same thing happens. Any ideas as to what else I can do? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

I am confused.  The H50 looks like a relatively full sized system to me.  "mini"? Were there small form factor versions that aren't showing up on my searches?

14-pin PSU (which should be an ATX form factor) was a failed spec to make 12V only PSUs with the voltage step downs for 3.3V and 5V outputs located on the MB (meaning that is proprietary too).  Unfortunately Lenovo and HP both released a slew of these models on an unsuspecting consumer market a few years back over an 18-month period until word got out to corporate buyers.  Adapters are pretty questionable, as they have to have some what of stepping down 12V to feed 3.3 and 5V lines.

You do have an x16 slot and assuming your case isn't "mini" you can use full height. If you only wanted to upgrade video you could have done that with either a GTX750 or GTX750Ti.  The most either of those use is 60W/5A (plus any factory overclock) on the 12V line; well within any PSU's output out there. 

I'd buy a GTX750 and be done with it, or a compatible MB to your CPU and a compatible PSU.  And an OS since your license will be void once you replace the MB.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 07 May 2016 - 06:00 PM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mak104

mak104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for the responses. I added the "mini rig" to avoid the misconception that i was trying to build a gamer. It only has a 180w PS. I tried an MSI r4850 video card and it wouldn't work. I did a little research and found there there were only a few compatible video cards but any PSU should work. I bought an EV3A 400W and it didn't work. A known good Thermaltake TR2-430W wouldn't work either. I bought a used Nvidea Geforce GT705 video card (which is on the "compatible" list) but I'm trying to get past the power supply issues first.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:56 AM

It has been pointed out to you that the PSU in this computer is proprietary.  It only has 14 pins in the connector for the motherboard.  In order a common ATX PSU you will need an adapter, such as the one found here.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mak104

mak104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:33 PM

My original post states that I used a 14 pin adapter and purchased a second one to make sure that the first wasn't faulty?

#7 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:52 PM

That 180W PSU should handle a 55W GTX750.

If you do not want to spend that money a GT730 at 49W ought to be able to handle excellent video playback.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 10 May 2016 - 10:58 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

If you do not want to spend that money a GT730 at 49W ought to be able to handle excellent video playback.

EVGA suggests a 300W PSU at a minimum for the GeForce GTX 750Ti.

This SLI GPU is aimed at serious gamers.  mak104 stated  in their first post that they were not going to need a gamer quality GPU.

The retail price for this GPU runs between $109. to $155, this is a quarter of the original purchase price of this computer.

The H50-50 case is a ATX Mini tower which could be a problem due to the space required to install this card.  This could also have an impact on the case circulation.

As for the GT 730.  I suspect you would not see a truly appreciable difference in performance over the Intel HD 4400 Graphics.

#9 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:09 PM

EVGA suggests a 300W PSU at a minimum for the GeForce GTX 750Ti.

This SLI GPU is aimed at serious gamers.  mak104 stated  in their first post that they were not going to need a gamer quality GPU.

The retail price for this GPU runs between $109. to $155, this is a quarter of the original purchase price of this computer.

The H50-50 case is a ATX Mini tower which could be a problem due to the space required to install this card.  This could also have an impact on the case circulation.

As for the GT 730.  I suspect you would not see a truly appreciable difference in performance over the Intel HD 4400 Graphics.

In order of statements: EVGA suggests a 300W PSU for the GT730 as well so what is your point?  Especially given the 6W maximum power difference between the two GPU chips.  Here's a tip all the mfgs. suggest 300 or 400W minimums for their low end cards.  Why?  Got me.  When one starts to exceed 33% of the rail then I start to worry.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=01G-P3-2730-KR

Which is why I included the link to the GT730 card for half the price.

Not certain of the equivalence but fair enough.  Not worth throwing more money at a cheap PC.

Nonsense!  And possibly there could be heat circulation issues but not likely since the 750's thermal is not much more than the 730's though the 750Ti is a bit hot.

I have not idea how you know the OP has a CPU that has HD4000, but in forcing me to reread his posts he has a nVidia 705 OEM CPU card.  Why is he not using it????  That is only 29W max power and ought to run fine on his present setup.  Whether it is an improvement over his present onboard graphics who knows--quite possible not--but screwing around looking for an new PSU for a card that uses zilch....geez mak107 just stick it in and see if it is better than what you have now and good enough! 

Edited by Fascist Nation, 11 May 2016 - 08:11 PM.

#10 mak104

mak104
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:52 PM

I  installed it with the old PSU and it works. I was getting "your video driver stopped working" errors and I'd like to occasionally run dual monitors. Most things that I read said that I would need a new power supply. I guess not. I haven't tried the second monitor yet. Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users