Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got this in my email today...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:01 PM

We want to let you know about some upcoming changes to OneDrive. On August 10, 2016, the amount of storage that comes with OneDrive will change from 15 GB to 5 GB. We are also discontinuing the 15 GB camera roll bonus. You can learn more at our FAQ.
There is no action you need to take, because your OneDrive account is currently below the new storage limits. Even though you aren't currently affected, we want to keep you updated on all important changes to OneDrive. If you'd like to check your account, you can visit the Storage page.
We realize these are big changes to a service you rely on. We want to apologize for any inconvenience they may cause you. We made a difficult decision, but it's one that will let us sustainably operate OneDrive into the future.
Thank you for using OneDrive.
The OneDrive Team

OneDrive going out of business? What do you all think?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:45 AM

That sucks.  I haven't received the notice yet but it looks like that's the end of OneDrive for me.

#3 BaronCardinal

BaronCardinal

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

Apparently this decision happened last year sometime. when they decided to limit other cloud storage options.  At the end of January last year you had the option to select to keep the 15 gb.  However i never noticed the notification.  Big supprise.

mike

Edited by BaronCardinal, 07 May 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

What is it with cloud storage providers, loads of them seem to be doing this sort of thing lately? Has there been some sudden jump in the price of certain hardware or consumables they need? because I can't think of any other reasons why a cloud storage provider would ever need to suddenly decrease what they were offering. If they've been making a profit up until now offering X gigabytes for £Y then unless some operational cost for them went up I can't see why they'd need to change anything.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

Apparently this decision happened last year sometime.

I am not aware of that.  Where did you get this information?

#6 BaronCardinal

BaronCardinal

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/129265/20160130/base-microsoft-onedrive-storage-drops-to-5gb-end-of-january-heres-how-to-keep-your-15gb-free-onedrive-storage.htm

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/129265/20160130/base-microsoft-onedrive-storage-drops-to-5gb-end-of-january-heres-how-to-keep-your-15gb-free-onedrive-storage.htm

Yes, I already know that Microsoft said they wanted to reduce the amount of free OneDrive storage but subsequently allowed users to opt in to keep their storage.  What I am not aware of is that this last notice to reduce the storage was in the works since last year.  Where did you get that information?

#8 BaronCardinal

BaronCardinal

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:51 PM

The original article l viewed on:

http://bgr.com/2016/04/25/onedrive-free-storage-limit-decreasing-july/

"If you saw earlier coverage of Microsoft’s announcement, you know that there was a way for free users to keep their 15GB of OneDrive storage after the switch is made. All you had to do was visit a special page on Microsoft’s website and click one button. Note the past tense in that last sentence — unfortunately, you had to click that button by January 31st, 2015 in order to keep your 15GB."

My guess is there was date confusion.  My applogies.

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

You can learn more at our FAQ.

The OneDrive Team

Link to the FAQ, which indicates November of last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users