Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I transfer document files from old Windows 10 hard drive to new computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Throwitoutthewindow1

Throwitoutthewindow1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:34 PM

I truly apologize if this question is already answered elsewhere. I did find a post about how to gain access to files on Windows 7- My old hard drive was on Windows 7 and then I switched over to Windows 10 before the video card died. The old drive is still working, but now I am having trouble accessing the files from my old drive on the new computer. My friend put the old drive in a case with a USB cord so I am able to plug in the old drive externally, however, I am not able to access documents - only to view program files. Again, if this topic has already been covered elsewhere- please direct me to that thread/post. Thank you.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 May 2016 - 08:50 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:15 AM

...however, I am not able to access documents - only to view program files.

When you say "...access documents..." I assume you mean accessing your personal files.  If so, what does you personal files have to do with "...program files..."?  Why are you accessing programs or files belonging to a program?

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 09 May 2016 - 04:10 PM

First you need to make sure you have the option turned on to show hidden files.  Then you open File Explorer and scroll down to the USERS folder.  Open the folder with the user ID used on the old PC and you'll see the Downloads, Documents, Pictures, Videos, and Music folders.  Now you can copy these folders to where ever you wish.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users