Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk cannot continue in read-only mode

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jboshear

jboshear

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

Here's the deal. First I understand what this message means but I don't fully understand the consequences of running chkdsk and letting it fix and bad sectors.

Here's the background.

I run a custom cabinetry shop with 15 employees. About a year ago we purchased a used $30,000 CNC machine. It is a Cosmec Fox 48 from Holzher.

The machine runs fine but it is obsolete and if the hard drive crashes we will have no way to recreate it since we did not get the original CNC software media in the deal.

So I decided that the prudent thing to do would be to clone the hard drive so if it crashes I can just swap it out.

Trying to clone it failed and said I needed to run check disk.

When I run check disk I get the above error.

I am afraid to run check disk and have it fix the problem because I'm afraid it may corrupt the custom CNC software that I cannot reinstall.

Everything is working perfectly now and I am just trying to buy some insurance by cloning the drive.

Any advice you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by jboshear, 06 May 2016 - 08:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:51 PM

This is how I would approach it. I would use Macrium Free to create a complete disk image of the drive. You can do this by removing the drive from the CNC and attaching it to another computer with the Macrium Software installed using an enclosure or USB adapter. Create a complete disk image and save it to the computer with Macrium if you have enough free space or an external drive.

Attach a new drive to the computer with Macrium using an enclosure or USB adapter. Restore the image to the new drive. Attach the drive to the CNC machine and see if it functions normally. If it does then do the chkdsk on the new drive and not the old. You still have the disk image saved to fall back on. 

Sometimes chkdsk can make things worse if the files system is corrupted and cloning software will refuse to run if it detects bad sectors on the drive. I believe if you do a Disk Image you may have better luck.

Edit:

chkdsk needs to be run in an admin account on XP and used with the /r switch

chkdsk /r     It will say that chkdsk with run at the next boot type Y to proceed. The link is for Windows 7 but the same holds for XP.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/error-chkdsk-cannot-continue-in-read-only-mode/ba46f95f-41bf-4768-a3ff-2197ceaaf2f9

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 May 2016 - 08:56 PM.

#3 jboshear

jboshear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

Thank you John. That sounds like excellent advice.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 01:36 PM

The only other advise I would give is to ground yourself before attempting to remove the drive and avoid touching the PCB of the disk drive when handling it.

For your situation you would want to play it extra save by using a antistatic-strap with the alligator clip attached to ground.

#5 jboshear

jboshear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

The only other advise I would give is to ground yourself before attempting to remove the drive and avoid touching the PCB of the disk drive when handling it.

For your situation you would want to play it extra save by using a antistatic-strap with the alligator clip attached to ground.

More good advice. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users