Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using previous hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mykel99

Mykel99

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hello. My old computer finally gave way. I bought a used computer with Windows 7 installed on the hard drive. I removed this hd and installed my older hd that has the same os. The problem is that it doesn't boot correctly. It takes me to the configuration page. Is there a way to load Windows from this hd or do I have to use it as an alternate hd? My new computer is a Dell Precision T3400.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTripleDeuce

TheTripleDeuce

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:24 PM

youd have to reinstall windows on the old drive in the newish PC you have

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:44 PM

The new computer is a Dell Precision T3400 but what was the old computer?  Do both computers use the same drivers?  The activation of an OEM Windows remains with the machine and dies with it.  What you have to do is backup all your stuff and reinstall Windows 7.

#4 Mykel99

Mykel99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:58 AM

My old computer was a Gateway GT5662. Can I install my old hd as a secondary drive so I can access my files from it? I actually had 2 hard drives in the Gateway. One had Windows and the other I kept movies and music on it. I would like to keep 2 hd's on the Dell if possible. It might be time to invest in an external hard drive.  Thank you for your answers.

#5 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

Agouti is correct.  You can't reuse your old HDD as the boot drive without changing the drivers first which is chicken and the egg kind of hard to do (and it could fail validation).  Plus it is a violation of the old system's license. 

But you can absolutely run that old drive as a second drive and transfer whatever to your new drive.  There is a possibility of the system getting confused with two HDDs containing bootable OS upon them but usually it is not an issue.  Just throwing it out there if you get something strange happening. I would notbe in a hurry to wipe the old drive until you feel everything is transferred and running the way you like.  Then consider wiping and using the old drive in some capacity.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 07 May 2016 - 06:10 PM.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:11 PM

You need to have the OS installation disk for the preferred OS in order to REPAIR the system.  Without that, the proper drivers will have to be found with Microsoft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users