Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Transfer Consistent Disparity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cheeseiron

Cheeseiron

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

Hello,

First of all, this is something which may be difficult to understand without using this system.
To remedy this, I will try my best to explain things thoroughly and use consistent terminology throughout.

I am using a piece of software to perform data transfers for my clients and I have a problem.
I actually work in IT, and myself nor my coworkers are able to solve this.

The software is one known as "Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier"
The OS of the machine (WE WILL CALL IT "Transfer Computer") running the software and performing the copying is Microsoft Windows 10.
The "Transfer Computer" is connected to a SCSI Data RAID (We'll call this "Data Backup Array").

The operation that we perform is intended to, and SHOULD consistently, go as follows:

Client HDD data (Windows User File system) ---R-Studio (deselect unnecessary files)--> Data Backup Array (Size XGb) ---RoadkilUC--> Destination Drive (Size XGb)

Instead, the operation tends to play out like this, with the destination drive having variable Y (~3Gb) of extra content.

Client HDD data (Windows User File system) ---R-Studio (deselect unnecessary files)--> Data Backup Array (Size XGb) ---RoadkilUC--> Destination Drive (Size X+YGb)

We determined that the phenomenon is because of file shortcuts in the Data that is being backed up.
On the client HDD file systems, there were shortcuts to files relevant to it. (Examples: appdata, desktop, program links, etc.)
When the backup is put onto the Data Backup Array, those shortcuts point to those files within the C: drive of the "Transfer Computer".

This causes the backup operation to backup both the client's data, and the data from the "Transfer Computer".

I have several questions.

1. First of all, does this phenomenon have any kind of terminology? 
2. Does windows have a setting which might prevent this from happening?
3. Do any of you have experience with Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier that know how to solve this issue?
4. If you have no experience with Roadkil's software, do you have another copier that you would recommend for mass copying operations?
(Please keep in mind that the application is a workplace so time-saving and consistency is critical)

Thank you,
Please let me know if you need some clarification on anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

I'm having problems receiving notifications of replies.

If I don't respond within 48 hours, please send me a Private Message to remind me.

It appears that RoadKill's software was last updated in 2010.
As such, I'd have to wonder if it's compatible w/W10

I'm not familiar with the changes to the file system in W10, but suspect that a change in things like Junction Points and the NTFS driver could cause this.

The best thing (IMO) would be to test this with a W7 or W8 system as the Transfer Computer.

I prefer using something like XCOPY from the command prompt - and prefer using it from a Windows PE environment (that way any of the non-essential stuff in a Windows installation isn't running).

But, it may be difficult to find/insert drivers for your Data Backup array

I seem to recall a backup function of some

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

FWIW, Softpedia's listing says Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier works in Windows 10.  Their listings are usually correct.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users