Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp laptop won't run zip 100 drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 triomega

triomega

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

I am trying to open some old zip drives (100) to see what is on them and download to my laptop. When I attach the usb cable from the zip drive in to the HP pavilion laptop the green light and the amber light on the zip drive come on and stay lighted. When I highlight the E drive in the my computer window it states "E is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O error. Any help on how I can get the zip drive working and run the zip disks so I can access whatever is on the disk? I have only minimal computer experience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:58 PM

I would try a different USB cable. If that does not work it's probably the drive itself. I have a USB zip drive and it's basically plug and play on XP.

Edit: I would try the USB cable on any other available USB port. Have you tried the drive on another computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 May 2016 - 04:02 PM.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:56 PM

Another thing to consider XP is severely broken without the service packs 1-3 and .net framework.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

I don't have .NET on my XP and it finds the USB Zip Drive fine but it does have SP3.

#5 triomega

triomega
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I did swap out the USB and had the same result on the windows xp computer. I asked my son to try the zip drive on his windows 7 laptop and the zip drive showed up on his my computer but did not run the zip drive. I'll try the windows service pack updates 1-3 to see if that works.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2016 - 07:35 AM

If the drive was detected on Windows 7 but did not work, I think the drive may be bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users