Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Fit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 11:13 PM

i just recently perchased a new radeon x1600 pro AGP iceq graphics card. t should be here probably tomorrow seeing as it is late to come already. anyways i compared the way the card fits, to my AGP slot and its location within the computer tower. the agp slot is at the very bottom of the tower. which is bad cuz that means that the cards fan mostlikely wont be able to get enough air to it, or it might just not fit at all! and if this card doesnt fit then i imagine most cards wont(considering the fan). i havent got my card yet but i am really concerned, one it may not fit. 2 if it does will it get enough air? this is all keeping in mind that my agp slot(the brown one) is at the bottom of my machine, and not near the top.
also i have many little metal strips where my cards (graphics, sound, so on) fit. it looks like i have to break them out(there is no screws or anything of the sort on them, its basicly a brand new case, so do i break them out to put the card in?

any help would be appreciated.

ohh yeah, is there another way to fit the card in there besides right on the board?

Edited by ussr1943, 06 August 2006 - 11:15 PM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:14 AM

First of all welcome to BC.

Please tell us what motherboard you have, or the make and model of your computer.

Not knowing what motherboard you have I can only speculate, on a ATX motherboard the AGP is located toward the center of the board, it's the closest to the CPU. It may vary in color, but not the location. The AGP slot typically sits one inch further in than the PCI slots, or if the board is old enough a ISA slot as well.

As for being able to cool the board, as long as you have adequate circulation in the case you shouldn't have any problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:45 AM

hello, and thank you for the timely reply :thumbsup: , i do not know the make/model/ serial number on my motherboard, where do i find it? also this is the order of my slots from top to bottom, firts i have the cpu then i have and orange slot, 2 white slots a little spaced apart (i am pretty sure they are pci), and below those at the bottom of the board is the agp slot. i am going to go look how to find numbers on board.
i hope that helps a little.

note:this forum/board is pretty nice, i definiatley glad i was able to find a place for this computer goodness
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

The motherboard's make and model should be printed on it.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:39 AM

You could download Everest Home Edition and it would find that information for you.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:27 PM

Motherboard Name:ECS P4M800-M / Epox EP-4VKMI (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN)

i hope that helps.

#7 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:19 PM

?-1) Will I have to break out the little strips on the back of the case?

A-1)You will be forced out beak out at least one of the metal strips in the back. This is an inevitabliity.
My Suggestion break them all out they just get in the way. There sould be 4 of them.

?-2) Will it fit w/o the fan hitting the floor?

A-2) More then likely you will be fine it should fit easily. But I dont know what your case model is. If not buy a full tower case.

?-3) Will the fan draw enough air to cool the Video Card?

A-3) it should. but i dont know your case model
My suggestion. Assuming that all you have installed in your PCI slots (the White slots) is a dial up modem Tiger direct sells Pci slot fans. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...5&CatId=494 so do alot of other places (used the first one I found as an example). Install one of those directly above you AGP video card and cooling should not be an issue. And for even more security you can slot the bottom of your case to allow air flow into the cards fan as well.

Edited by BlackSpyder, 07 August 2006 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

#8 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:19 PM

problem fixed, thankyou for all your help. i found out my agp slot was an orange one and not a brown one,(brown at bottom, orange at top) thanks though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users