Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Omni 27 HDD failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bummedic

bummedic

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

Bought an HP all-in-one Omni 27 desktop PC back in 9/2012. Core i7 processor, 8gb RAM, 2TB HDD, wireless keyboard/mouse, etc. Was doing well until a couple days ago, and started getting an error code for an imminent HDD failure. Made sure my Seagate GoFlex backup was updated, and replaced the HDD with a new Seagate 2TB hybrid SSD/HDD. Popped the old one out the cradle, new one into the cradle, and plugged it in and secured it. Easy as pie. Here is where things start to be funny.

Inserted a Windows 10 installation DVD and booted up... machine turned on, but was at a blank screen for a long time before the HP welcome/BIOS screen and then the "hit any key to boot from CD/DVD" message. Did that, installed Windows 10, and was up and running in some time. Installed AVG and my Seagate dashboard software. Identified my backup, and updated Windows. Went to update and restart, and after the pre-shutdown updates were done and the screen turned off, the computer turned off and did not restart. Hmm...

Hit the power button to restart and the machine turned on again, but this time, completely permanent blank screen, no HP/BIOS welcome screen, no HDD activity (either audible or activity light). Tried with WIndows DVD in and out. Nothing. Tried to hard reset (turn off, unplug, hold power button, then plug back in and turn on). Nothing. Uninstalled and reinstalled new HDD. Nothing.

What the heck happened? I just hope if something got fried, my backup certainly didn't. It's unplugged just to make sure. 

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

try adding the hard disk into another computer, boot up your laptop without hard disk

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#3 bummedic

bummedic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

Don't have another computer to add it to, but will try and boot the desktop up without it. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users