Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Crucial Bx 100 -occasionally rattling.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sew333

sew333

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

Hello. My case is Centurion Cooler Master 590.
I have only SSD plugged Crucial Bx 100 250 GB by 1 screw. But my ssd is mounted here, not directly on drive cage. That does matter? It look like this:

image.jpg

I dont have any hdds installed to pc. Only that ssd.

And listen.

This is not my video but it shows exactly the same situation noise with my ssd, look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlQEaHIqA44

I know in video there are HDDs Seagate , but this is exactly situation with my ssd. When i am touching case that rattle noise coming from ssd dissapearing. In that area in case i have only ssd installed without hdds. Even case fan is unplugged, so only ssd is left.
Ssd is plugged only by 1 screw to my case.
Any ideas why my ssd ( not have mechanical moving parts like hdd ) making that rattle noise occasionally? This is kind of vibration right, that rattling ?

There are 2 fans active on my case. One case fan on front and cpu fan thats all. GPU fans are off , and PSU Corsair 750 RM fan is off on idle.
So what is causing that vibrations/rattle?

And last question. That vibrations/rattling can be harmful to ssd?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:24 AM

There are no moving parts in an SSD so it is not technically the cause of its rattling assuming you have made the correct diagnosis.

There are no heat concerns with an SSD.

Tape the SSD down somewhere, even against the case.  If the rattling disappears you made the correct call.  If it continues it is something else rattling. 

As to what is causing the rattling it would have to be fans either in the case or the PSU or a passing subway train.  They are your only moving parts (other than thermal expansion).

I would not have an SSD unsupported hanging in the air by a single screw.  Get a 5.25 to 2.5" bay adapter.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 06 May 2016 - 09:36 AM.

#3 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

Unfortunately I can't see your picture as I'm at work and they've blocked that image provider but in addition to what Fascist Nation put, it could also be a loose screw - quite possibly the one holding your SSD in.

Any moving parts - which in the case of a PC case mainly means the fans - have the potential to cause some vibration so make sure the screws are tightened sufficiently.

I put a similar SSD into my low-profile case PC and there was no bracket for it so had to kludge it in where there was space and hold it down by way of makeshift methods.  Electrically it was easy enough but inside the case it's quite ugly (although safe).  No noise, no rattle, no anything.

An SSD cannot cause rattling, as Fascist Nation has already said.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#4 sew333

sew333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:59 AM

So its possible to ssd to vibrate? But ssd dont have any moving mechanical parts.
. So why i am hearing sometimes that rattle noise from ssd then ? Yes ssd is hanging in the air by one single screw.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/topic/200170-noise-hdd-or-ssd/

They said here:""An SSD has no moving parts, so any noise you're hearing is most definitely not from that.""

Edited by sew333, 06 May 2016 - 02:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users