Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

should i use windows or linux

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 fcwe1113

fcwe1113

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:58 AM

i used windows for a very long time (aka from birth), but the recent moves by microsoft made me wonder do i still want to use windows or linux instead as a free alternative, can someone list some good/bad points of windows and linux for me to consider

also one more thing i am considering to run ubuntu alongside windows, tho i dont think i have enough disk space to use and i cant really buy more drives (yet), so yea pls help me choose :)

Edited by fcwe1113, 06 May 2016 - 07:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:22 AM

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/should-i-use-linux-or-windows-3-deal-breaker-questions-you-must-answer/

http://www.linux.org/threads/why-should-i-use-linux-instead-of-windows.5474/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201731/10_reasons_to_dump_windows_and_use_linux.html

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/why-linux-over-windows-592182/

There should be enough in there to get you started on your decision.

As someone who has not used Windows as their primary desktop for at least 20 years, the decision boils mostly down to "what applications do you need to use".

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:40 AM

You should probably keep windows around for a while.  I've had some issues using linux to view stuff for work that windows has locked down, the software only works on windows as far as I know.  I've also had problems with logging onto my preferred Tax website.  You could run Windows in a Virtual Machine as a Linux Guest for this and other things.  Most things we can do in Linux but there are things M.S. has the upper hand with all their power and money.

You don't need much room to install Linux, 20GB has been suggested here by some of the IT guys.

You can also boot an OS up and take a Test Drive via. DVD or even better USB.

A couple of quick points I would say is:

It's free!

It takes less time to install.

Runs faster in most conditions and on older hardware.

Many many choices, 100's to choose from to suit your needs.

No antivirus necessary.

Many free software programs in linux repository's that are malware free.

You can read these also if you like

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577719/never-tried-linux-before-read-this/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527392/with-xp-ending-what-are-your-alternatives/

pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 803 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

should i use windows or linux

The only person able to answer that question is you yourself.

I'm sure we can all give reasons why we would choose one over the other, but the only person who knows what your computing needs are is you.

Personally I use both.

Windows I use because I help people with Windows based security problems, and it's easier to talk someone through things when I'm looking at the same user interface that they are.

Linux I use for my own personal activities, because I find it less "intrusive" than Window, now that Microsoft seem so intent on data mining their customers.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

If you are an audiophile, then Windows is your only option.

http://tuxradar.com/content/how-it-works-linux-audio-explained

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 lacey16

lacey16

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:12 PM

Started using Ubuntu a couple of years ago and never looked back.  I dual boot because I need windows to update my TomTom and maybe 1 or 2 other things but dread going into windows because its so slow. Watching its blue circle forever spinning gives me a headache  It seemed like every time I turned it on it was updating or configuring files, however windows 10 has seen a big improvement as the updating has been minimal. Zorin looks much like windows and includes a programme called wine that allows one to use windows apps.

Dual booting allows you to access windows to edit files and move files between the two systems.

I originally just wanted to use it as a daily OS but it dragged me in. Now I continually try to learn the most exciting, challenging and frustrating system ever, but I love it.

There is nothing else in technology that gives so much for free and I for one am forever grateful to the open source gurus who dedicate so much time, effort,and skill to making it possible.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:34 AM

I agree with pcpunk & Gary, though both runs Windows for different reasons & so do I, both 7 & 8.1, as well as one XP Pro install that never goes online, that I'll keep there as long as one friend who depends on me for support continues to run the XP Media Center Edition, a modified version of XP Pro. Yet I've told him not to refer me to others running the OS under any conditions, otherwise would be requested to assist others with their vulnerable OS. 

The reason why I dual boot isn't so much for myself, rather to assist others as noted above. As much as I'll dread it, will have to create one Windows 10 physical install, in addition to the one running in a virtual machine on a PC that I can't carry around, to assist users on this Forum & close family members & friends running the OS. Some, but not all has made the leap to W10, others are still considering as the clock is ticking down for the free upgrade. Which because of lower than expected adoption rated, may be extended. 

Like Gary pointed out, the only person who can make this decision is you. :)

You can run both, and if your computer supports running two drives, here's what I recommend. Disconnect the Windows drive's power & data cables, install your choice of Linux on another drive, run the update on it, shut down & plug the Widows drive cables back in. Go into the BIOS or UEFI & make the Linux drive the first one to boot, press F10 or whatever key to save & reset, then you'll boot into Linux. 

Now open the Terminal & run the following command, and provide password at the prompt. 

sudo update-grub 

While there, may as well activate the Firewall, if you perform both actions at once, won't need to retype password. 

sudo ufw enable

Finally to make sure all is OK, reboot, select the Windows install from the drop down Grub menu, Windows should fire right up. :)

This gives you the best of both worlds, you can run Windows as needed while running Linux. If like the rest of us long time Linux users, you'll find yourself booting into Windows less & Linux more. Another benefit is that one doesn't have to wait until Patch Tuesday for updates, any exploits once found, will be fixed usually in under 72 hours, including the time to distribute to different distros. 

Being that Linux OS's are free of cost, plus one gets a full featured Office suite included, all of the tools to get started are there. Most software is in the Software Manager, though browsers such as Google Chrome & Vivaldi will have to be downloaded, be sure to choose the version (32 or 64 bit) that matches the install. 

Finally, if coming from a Windows 7 environment, then Linux Mint MATE 17.3 is an excellent alternative. Just make sure to download the correct bit version for your computer, 64 bit version below. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=206

Here's the 32 bit version for older computers. 

https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=205

That's my two cents worth, Good Luck with your decision! :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,983 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:42 AM

Speaking as someone who's just started using a live linux USB because I have grown annoyed with ms's GWX campaign, I would suggest you make a live USB and use it to take linux (any distro you want to try) for a test drive. I used unetbootin to make my USB, although I chose to download the linux mint mate 17.3 distro myself as an iso file rather than let unetbootin fetch it for me. You might find some of your windows exe file software can be made to work on linux by using wine as a compatibility feature, but this isn't a certainty. The good thing is with a live USb you can test and see if linux is capable of the things you need, and you won't have had to alter your windows install or much of your system's BIOS/UEFI/firmware* configuration to do so.

*You'll probably have to change a few things, turn off secureboot if your system has it and you'll need to change the boot order to put USB at the top above the internal HDD, but you don't have to do anything that can't be easily reversed.

Edited by rp88, 07 May 2016 - 08:42 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

i used windows for a very long time (aka from birth)

This is quite impressive!  You must have been a very smart toddler lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 fcwe1113

fcwe1113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

yep i am a "toddler" almost adulthood and the reason i want to change to linux is because ms's BS, and i'm afraid that they will continue on this awful tradition of forcing updates and constant upgrading notices that disrupts my computer experience (i blocked it myself on win 8.1 with GWX control panel, really big thanks to the dev :D) and i heard linux is really secure and free of spies and open source and stuff, but i do have one problem.

MY PRINTER DRIVERS DON'T HAVE A LINUX VERSION

and because of this sole reason i might have to dual-boot windows just for that, any suggestions on solving that?

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 08:37 PM

Absolutely, just include the Make and Model and we will take a look see.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 fcwe1113

fcwe1113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

Here you go

Model: EPSON office 960FWD

Make: I don't understand what are you talking about :P

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:41 PM

Make=Epson, Model=office 960FWD

Thanks will take a look.  Epson has pretty good support so I think you are in luck.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:55 PM

That printer should work quite fine.  When you are ready someone will assist you. 

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/Epson/Epson-ME_960FWD_Series

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •