Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP only boots in safe mode

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nupity

nupity

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:42 AM

Hey there,

I've got a pc with Windows XP Professional installed.

When I try to boot regularly, I only see a black screen (no xp logo loading) and nothing happens.

If i press F8 I can boot to safe mode. I tried System Restore, chkdsk and sfc /scannow and nothing solved it.

Thanks in advanced!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:22 AM

In Safe Mode follow this guide to do a clean boot. If the computer boots normally then there is a conflict that you will need to find by enabling the startup items a few at a time until you get the black screen.

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

After tapping F8 you can also try Use Last known Good Configuration from the menu.

#3 nupity

nupity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 03:29 AM

In Safe Mode follow this guide to do a clean boot. If the computer boots normally then there is a conflict that you will need to find by enabling the startup items a few at a time until you get the black screen.

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

After tapping F8 you can also try Use Last known Good Configuration from the menu.

Hi, before you wrote the message I loaded Recovery Console and ran bootfix and now I can't even boot to safe mode.
If necessary I have ERD Commander and Hiren's

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

If you ran the bootfix command and now cannot access Windows try the following but I can't say it will help.

http://icrontic.com/article/repair_windows_xp

Edit: Do you have another XP computer that is functioning?

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 May 2016 - 07:14 AM.

#5 nupity

nupity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 11:36 AM

safe mode is working again.

clean boot didn't help

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:28 PM

If you do not have an XP install disk with the same SP as what is installed on the computer I think your only option would be to try a System Restore using ERD commander.

If you placed any files on the desktop after the restore point date copy them to the Documents folder. Do this for every account on the computer.

Can you uninstall your video driver in Safe Mode?

#7 nupity

nupity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:25 AM

If you do not have an XP install disk with the same SP as what is installed on the computer I think your only option would be to try a System Restore using ERD commander.

If you placed any files on the desktop after the restore point date copy them to the Documents folder. Do this for every account on the computer.

Can you uninstall your video driver in Safe Mode?

Sorry for the late response.

Safe mode is working. System restore didn't solve the problem.

I uninstalled the video driver and rebooted. Only safe mode worked, same problem.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:00 AM

You have pretty much tried everything including sfc /scannow. I think your only choice at this point is to do a repair install if you have a install disk with the same SP as what is currently on the computer.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users