Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can a virus transfer to my computer from someone else's over a wifi network?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_gacl_*

Guest_gacl_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

So I am going to connect my Windows laptop to my school wifi. Is this unsafe? If some other student has a virus on their computer could it travel to mine without me doing anything? I have avg antivirus free and Windows firewall on and I will set it to public. Does Windows firewall stop people from connecting to my laptop? Any ways thanks for all the answers!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

Yes & yes, but make sure your Windows machine is patched too.

FYI: there are also Wifi networks that are configured to isolate each client. Clients can not communicate with each other in such Wifi networks. You coul ask your school's IT admin if Wifi clients are isolated.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users