Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need some info about intel realted stuff

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 shinmarwan

shinmarwan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:57 AM

what is  Intel Management Engine Interface ??

what is Intel INF installation ??

what is Realtek LAN Driver ?

what is Intel SATA Preinstall driver ?

what is Intel® Rapid Storage Technology ?

i was trying to update my motherboard drivers and these apps needed updating ? are they important ?

thanks in  advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:09 AM

what is  Intel Management Engine Interface ??

what is Intel INF installation ??

what is Realtek LAN Driver ?

what is Intel SATA Preinstall driver ?

what is Intel® Rapid Storage Technology ?

i was trying to update my motherboard drivers and these apps needed updating ? are they important ?

thanks in  advance

Good questions.  The snide answer would be only if you want your computer to work.  Drivers are apps that allow the OS to communicate with the chip they are directed against.  So for example, the Realtek LAN driver makes the Ethernet port functional.  If you are not using the LAN then you do not need the driver installed.

INF is the chipset driver.  It works between the CPU and chipset and the OS.  No driver, no computer.  It should always be installed first.  It usually also contains the important SMBus driver (it handles a lot of low end communication between parts on the MB), but recently I found this on the RST driver (see below).

Intel divided the chipset driver at some point into three pieces, the INF, ME and RST. [unfortunately RST can mean more than one thing to Intel, but in this case it means rapid storage technology] 

RST contains the SATA, RAID and AHCI drivers.  Just because an driver installation package contains a bunch of drivers does not mean they are all installed.  In fact, very few of the drivers inside of installation packages get installed on the machine.  The installation package will look over the components on your machine and OS and select drivers for its products that it finds.  It may ask you to select the proper one(s) you wish to install if more than one choice exists---such as do you want RAID or not?

ME (Management Engine) is a bit harder to justify.  You can usually leave it out if you want as it is a hardware interface for remote updating applications and controlling hardware.  That said sometimes a MB will not function properly until you add the ME driver. 

With the MB maker having separated the SATA driver for you, you can likely install that to get your drives working and forgo installing the RST driver since I assume you are not RAIDing the PC.

Once done examine the Windows Device Manager for issues and determine if any yellow flagged functions are really wanted.  If so you will need to find their driver.  If not then you can ignore.  A good personal example is my latest MB has a built in Bluetooth function which I consider a serious security issue so I don't install its driver and it is nonfunctional.  Device Manager lets me know and I am fine with it.

Edited by Fascist Nation, 06 May 2016 - 10:22 AM.

#3 shinmarwan

shinmarwan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

thanks a lot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users