Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

We're having trouble connecting to Google..... why so?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:44 AM

On all of my 3 computers, two Win 10 and the other Win 7 when I start Gmail to my Inbox I get a small yellow field on the left on which it says, 'Something's not right'. Under this is 'We're having trouble connecting to Google - We'll keep trying'. Nothing else is running.

At the screen bottom I get what is happening with 'Waiting for plus.google; 18.clients.com; clients4.google.com; play.google.com; mail.google.com etc., etc.  So it's trying to connect I guess.

This goes on for several minutes, perhaps 10 mins! If I refresh then it seems to connect faster. My download speed is around 5Mbps, wireless connection.

Also I do find that websites can be slow in loading with the constant 'Processing request; waiting for...' etc. so it must be a slow something but what? I have done a complete 'no result' malware scan. Are there any other tests I can make?

My router is a Netgear N150 Wireless ADSL 2+ Modem Router model DGN1000

This glitch started to happen perhaps about 6-8 months ago but is not connected with the Win 10 upgrade I think as it's happening on my Win 7. It never happened on XP. 

Any ideas please  -thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 06:54 AM

After 15 mins Gmail still cannot connect. So I started my android tablet and there was no trouble connecting with Gmail so it's not an ISP problem so a Windows or Chrome problem?

If so how can I trace it?

This website came up OK and is operable.

Edited by zzzz, 06 May 2016 - 07:00 AM.

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

At the 'downrightnow' website it says Gmail is 'up' so I'm flummoxed.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

They're having problems with GMail at their end. The problem seems to be with Talkback which is built in to Gmail on the web but not on mobile. I have been having similar connectivity issues though it was fine when I went to GMail a few minutes ago. The problem seems to be intermittent and other Google services seem to be OK. I guess it will fix itself.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for your response.

I had already replied but it would not post - it tried but reverted to the thread and my reply field - tried twice. Went to reply options but it seems that the 'Saved' post wherever that is, is gone. I must remember to Copy every few lines to repeat when this happen - not an unusual occurrence

Suffice to say time may cure but it hasn't for months yet!

The posting has worked this time!

Edited by zzzz, 06 May 2016 - 11:05 AM.

#6 Joffre2000

Joffre2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:53 AM

On all of my 3 computers, two Win 10 and the other Win 7 when I start Gmail to my Inbox I get a small yellow field on the left on which it says, 'Something's not right'. Under this is 'We're having trouble connecting to Google - We'll keep trying'. Nothing else is running.

At the screen bottom I get what is happening with 'Waiting for plus.google; 18.clients.com; clients4.google.com; play.google.com; mail.google.com etc., etc.  So it's trying to connect I guess.

This goes on for several minutes, perhaps 10 mins! If I refresh then it seems to connect faster. My download speed is around 5Mbps, wireless connection.

Also I do find that websites can be slow in loading with the constant 'Processing request; waiting for...' etc. so it must be a slow something but what? I have done a complete 'no result' malware scan. Are there any other tests I can make?

This glitch started to happen perhaps about 6-8 months ago but is not connected with the Win 10 upgrade I think as it's happening on my Win 7. It never happened on X

This glitch started to happen perhaps about 6-8 months ago but is not connected with the Win 10 upgrade I think as it's happening on my Win 7. It never happened on XP. 

Any ideas please  -thanks.

Go to your Gmail settings

Settings

Select CHAT tab

Turn CHAT OFF

Settings

Select CHAT tab

Turn CHAT OFF

Settings

Select CHAT tab

Turn CHAT OFF

#7 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2018 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for that but there is no Chat tab anywhere on my system Even in the Settings search there is no result.

There is a Chats label in which I have no messages. In Manage labels there is the option to Show or Hide. Weirdly pressing hide shows the label and pressing show hides it!!!  What fun.

I have now hidden it.

Edited by zzzz, 07 September 2018 - 08:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users