Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft to discontinue support for Windows Live Mail 2012

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:08 AM

I had an email at the end of last year from Microsoft saying that things were going to change, but last night I received this:

Dear User,

Earlier this year we introduced a new Outl‍ook‍.‍com that will help you collaborate with others, focus on what matters, and get more done. The new Outlo‍ok‍.‍com delivers an exciting set of new experiences across web, phone, and desktop, and we’re eager for you to start using it. It appears that you are currently using Windows Live Mail 2012 to connect to your Out‍look‍.‍com account. Windows Live Mail 2012 does not support the synchronization technologies used by the new Outl‍ook‍.‍com. When account upgrades begin at the end of June, you will no longer be able to receive email sent to your Out‍look‍.‍com account in Windows Live Mail 2012. Rest assured, you can always access your email by logging into Out‍look‍.‍com from any web browser, and you will continue to have access to all your data that is currently in Windows Live Mail 2012. If you currently use Windows Live Mail 2012, we recommend that you switch to the Mail app in Windows to‍day. The Mail app is built in to Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10, and has a more modern design. To begin using it, simply launch the app and add your Out‍look‍.‍com account. If you are using Windows 7, you can upgrade to a newer version of Windows to enjoy the Mail app and the other benefits. If you do not wish to upgrade, you can access your account via a web browser, or, you can take advantage of a free one-year subscription of Office 365 Personal, and use Outl‍ook 2016 to connect to your account.* This Off‍ice 365 subscription also includes other productivity applications such as Word, PowerPoint and Excel. It works on Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10. Please take action before Ju‍ne 30th, 2016, which is when we’ll begin upgrading accounts that currently use Windows Live Mail 2012. If you have more questions, please find answers to common FAQs in this help article, or you can contact Microsoft support. We recognize that changes like this can be difficult, and apologize for any inconvenience this causes you. We hope that you’ll enjoy the benefits of moving to the new Outl‍ook‍.‍com. Sincerely,
Outl‍ook‍.‍com team

First off - it is definitely genuine; it's not a scam email pretending to be from Microsoft but actually isn't.  I am signed up to receive updates like this from Microsoft.

The trouble for me is this: I dislike browser-based email with a passion.  The built-in email app with Windows 10 is OK, but it does not work the way I work - for instance, I like to drag emails out of the program and onto my desktop for easy ready reference and then file them into folders so I can access them anytime I want, without having to be online if need be.  Also, it isn't configurable enough - you're given a layout that you can't change.

I wonder if it would be possible for them to patch WLM2012 to be compatible - I can't be the only one that will have to severely change the way I do computing because of this - or otherwise find a different email provider.

Anyone else any thoughts on this?  Ideas?  Suggestions?  Comments?

Please, no Microsoft-bashing though - it might be how you feel but it doesn't help anyone, not really, and is totally unproductive IMHO.

Edit: Please note, the forum software has totally messed up the layout of the email I pasted in; it is far more professional than how it has been rendered above.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 May 2016 - 05:39 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:27 AM

First off - it is definitely genuine;

Yes it is.  I have seen a few articles about this.

The trouble for me is this: I dislike browser-based email with a passion.

Me too, as a Linux user I use Thunderbird. I probably wouldn't use the email account if I was forced to do it browser based.

I only created a MS account when I tried Windows 10 so it wont bother me. I also have an icloud account that I never access from my PC, a good email client set up right cant be beat.

#3 Angoid

Angoid
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:43 AM

Researching it shows that there are actually a few articles about it online.

I think I can see where this is going: get a free 1-year subscription to Office 365 and then pay for it year after year.  Then are they going to start segmenting out other parts of the OS ("You can only keep this updated with a subscription") - certainly that would fit with the idea of delivering Windows as a service.  So in the end all you own is your hardware, everything else is on someone else's computer in the cloud and you have to pay for the privilege of accessing it.

Trouble is, I don't want any ongoing subscriptions.  I'm a "buy-once-and-again-as-needed" man.  I like to only shell out money when I choose to, not when any company says I must (with obvious exceptions such as mortgage payments, utility bills, etc, etc) but certainly with computing I don't currently have any financial subscription plans to any online services / websites and whatknot and don't have any plans to start now.

Edited by Angoid, 06 May 2016 - 03:44 AM.

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 04:01 AM

I think I can see where this is going: get a free 1-year subscription to Office 365 and then pay for it year after year.  Then are they going to start segmenting out other parts of the OS ("You can only keep this updated with a subscription") - certainly that would fit with the idea of delivering Windows as a service.

I actually said something similar before Win10 came out, I also said the best way to make sure people fall into line of Windows as a service would be to make it hard to install 3rd party software like antivirus games and stuff, unless its downloaded from M$ apps store, and to host stuff on the apps store MS charges both the dev and end user a fee to host the software and download software even if its free version, and gets a commission on any premium software sold,  and was shouted down as a M$ hater, I don't hate M$, I just don't use their product. 

PS.

In fact we owe M$, if it wasn't for them the majority of people would never know the joys of free speech and the internet

Edited by NickAu, 06 May 2016 - 04:04 AM.

#5 Angoid

Angoid
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:07 AM

I do my level best to keep out of any discussion involving bashing Microsoft, Google, or any other corporation, especially as they have a nasty tendency to get heated and unproductive and ultimately proves Godwin's Law.  Truth be told, they all do some things right and other things are howlingly wrong.

As an OS, I actually like Windows 10.  I never disliked 8 and 8.1, but certainly some of the more 'traditional' features re-implemented in 10 were welcomed by me.

I have Linux (Debian) on an old laptop for occasional playing around with, but I don't feel comfortable enough with Linux as an OS to go over to using it as my main OS.  In addition, I have a project or two on the go right now and want to see them through to completion otherwise I feat I won't have sufficient personal bandwidth.

The idea of starting this thread was:

1) Make folk aware in case they had not received direct notification from M$

2) see what ideas there are floating around to work around this in a satisfactory manner.

I do have access to M$'s forums, so may well pop in there and see what's going on....

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

Thunderbird email client works well with Outlook.com, Msn and Hotmail email. I have been using it for a long time for all my email accounts, which includes one for msn.com mail. (I totally dislike using webmail)

I suggest you take Thunderbird for a test drive to see if you like it enough to continue using it.

Easy set up-all you have to do is let Thunderbird automatically configure the account.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 06 May 2016 - 05:45 AM.

#7 Angoid

Angoid
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

I've taken a quick look at the Thunderbird page ... I thought it had been disowned some time ago but with release 45 just recently made available, it's still alive and kicking.

May well give it a test drive ... it will need to be compatible with the changes M$ are making to Oulook.com (Hotmail) accounts though, otherwise we could be left with an email client that does not worth with the email provider.

It would be an imperial pain in the you-know-where to change email addresses .....

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 May 2016 - 08:25 AM

May well give it a test drive ... it will need to be compatible with the changes M$ are making to Oulook.com (Hotmail) accounts though, otherwise we could be left with an email client that does not worth with the email provider.

It would be an imperial pain in the you-know-where to change email addresses .....

There is that to consider.

I am under the impression that it will no longer work with WLM but will continue to work with other email clients.

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:45 AM

WLM works just fine with both Comcast and ATT email at present, so I will continue using it until/unless it no longer works.  I have WLM installed and working on my Windows 10 laptop and Windows 7 desktops.  I have tried Thunderbird and it works just fine, so should I have to, I'll switch to it.  The only reason I have a hotmail account is I created it when I installed 10 on my two desktops, but I almost never use it online or via WLM or anything else.  MS has made so many changes to hotmail that it's another learning experience every time I use it.  :nono:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

My understanding of what I read HERE is that WLM will not work with @outlook.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com, or @msn.com. email addresses.

It will still work for other email domains.

I am wondering if this is Microsoft's way of starting the process of  eventually phasing out WLM altogether.

#11 Angoid

Angoid
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 301 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:05 AM

It most certainly is.

I received another love-letter from them over the weekend saying that changes were coming to their free OneDrive storage limits.

"Changes" means "bad news."  Always.  No exceptions.

And it sure was: they're decreasing their free storage from 15GB right down to 5GB.

Doesn't actually affect me but never mind: I can always pay an annual subscription for Office 365 and get 1TB space included.

Just one problem with that: "Annual Subscription."

No thanks.

Yes, other email providers should still interface to WLM successfully, except M$ will obviously de-support it now which means any vulnerabilities, etc. will not be patched.

They want you to either use the built-in Mail app (which is OK, but it doesn't work the way I work - I would have to alter how I do things to a way of working I've tried before and just does not work for me) or subscribe to Office 365.

EDIT:

As for whether Thunderbird will work with Outlook.com accounts after the "improvements", I've found a couple of topics on the Mozilla support site:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1121677

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1121590

They link to other topics, more research required, may do well to migrate away from WLM early next month and then "rough it" for a short while and then come back to T/bird to see if it works .....

Edited by Angoid, 09 May 2016 - 03:24 AM.

#12 Angoid

Angoid
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 301 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:45 AM

OK, a bit more searching online has turned up these articles regarding WLM / Outlook clients and the new "improved" outlook accounts:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/outlookcom/outlook-com-migration-status/

http://www.ghacks.net/2016/05/06/windows-live-mail-2012-end-of-outlook-support/

Suggests that IMAP and POP3 will still be available (although strongly discouraged) and they can be turned on again post migration.

As well as a raft of other things you might have to do, especially if using an older version of Outlook (such as one requiring the Outlook Connector).

#13 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

I have the impression that Microsoft would like to phase out anything that's not built into Windows 10.  I just heard yesterday that they would also like to phase out Internet Explorer in favor of Edge.  However there are still a lot of folks using WLM and IE so I'm inclined to believe it'll be several years before they can completely do away with them.  IE is still included in 10 although you have to search for it to find it.  Ain't technology wunnerful!   :bananas:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#14 cflam0625

cflam0625

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

I got the same email and reminder from MS in the past year. Today is July 12, 2016, I'm still using Windows Live Mail 2012 (on desktop) and I'm still receiving emails from hotmail server. I'm now using windows 8.1 and will do the upgrade of windows 10 in a week. I'm not sure if WLM 2012 still works after the upgrade of windows. Cross-finger!

I tried to connect to hotmail by using the app version and I just hate it. I've never used any of windows' app since I use windows 8.1. Their interface and designs are just bad. Maybe I've been using windows desktop interface for twenty years, and I've been using android system on the phone since it's implemented. 

Will keep you update after I install windows 10 to see if WLM 2012 still can receive emails from hotmail or microsoft mail server.

Thanks

#15 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:56 AM

Thunderbird email client works well with Outlook.com, Msn and Hotmail email. I have been using it for a long time for all my email accounts, which includes one for msn.com mail. (I totally dislike using webmail)

I suggest you take Thunderbird for a test drive to see if you like it enough to continue using it.

Easy set up-all you have to do is let Thunderbird automatically configure the account.

Myself, I actually like webmail.  Thunderbird is the only email client that I have been comfortable "learning" but never fully mastering to use.  Another good choice for some people who want a email client on the computer could be Opera Mail.  The only reason someone might need outlook mail or hotmail would maybe be to have Windows 8 or Windows 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users